Requesting tips/info for first time flying abroad for a dive safari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael.52

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for any interesting and useful tips that I would probably not think of myself, and answers to a few general questions towards my first dive holiday abroad which is most probably going to be to the Maldives (yay!). Since me and my buddy are aiming for such an expensive location, we would like any advice regarding a stricter budget whereever we can - but of course not on expense of crucial elements such as safety.

1) I intend to bring my own equipment (including a backplate and [small] wing), how best is it to transport my gear - is a soft bag enough or should I invest and protect it in a more crate-like container?
2) Is getting insurance for my equipment over-kill or something worth considering (this could be in conjuction with my first question, and a soft and cheaper bag)?
3) What kind of over-looked factors are most important when selecting the tour/safari company?
4) Have you got any more interesting or useful tips that I would probably not manage to think of asking about by myself?

My background:
I have several hundred dives - all in Israel, mostly Eilat (Red Sea). I am ranked assistant instructor.

I just pack my gear in either a hard shell standard suitcase or a heavy/strong fabric wheeled sportsbag type duffle. For the duffle, I put heavier items on the bottom and wrap by packing clothes and wetsuit to protect items and increase the padding on the sides of the bag, which is also reinforced with my fins, which are packed on their sides as assistance to the walls of the bag. My regs, computer and mask go in my carry-on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom