required computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j yaeger

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
are computers required by ocean divers,key largo
for diving the spiegel grove?
thinking of going out w/them,but wife uses tables/wheel
one dog,one bone..

If they require computers wouldn't they have them for you and make you strap one on? I've seen dive boats that require divers have a computer which they supplied, no extra charge.

Dived with them admittedly 2 years ago. Computers weren't required but you needed a timing device, depth measuring device and tables otherwise. Which seemed fair.

Having said that on their official papers they said a snorkel was mandatory. I didnt take one and it seems they dont actually enforce that utterly retarded rule.

Hola,

I dived Speigal Grove last year and was a very large and big wreck.. I had computer, but one diver on the boat got lost and surface off wreck with no safety stop. It scared us.

Dive boat had to uproute from the mooring and motor over as the diver was a little upset and of course when they come on the boat ladders and to their bench, they were piss off, but he wasn't wearing a computer and ran out of air. He had not buddy and decide not to swim to the boat, because holding the line on the starboard side of the wreck mid ship was his safety net.

I can see why boats like that want a computer and think that the divers can rent or buy one, as if they should get one for free. If everyone keep getting free dive gear to rent, where does it end? Free tank, Free doubles, Free Canister Light? It is our responsibility to have our gear stowed and have it ready to dive, no matter what.

Back at home, when we dive off the coast of Akumal, everyone best be having computers, because the wall goes too deep for dive table and people don't watch their depth gauge. A computer will be helping the entire situation.

Julio

Got to stop double clickin on the mouse...........Patience right? Sorry!

Back at home, when we dive off the coast of Akumal, everyone best be having computers, because the wall goes too deep for dive table and people don't watch their depth gauge. A computer will be helping the entire situation.

Julio

There's no computer that can replace your brain. What you described up there seems like a brain dead situation, not watching your depth gauge...Sounds like a proper dive plan to me!

Hola,

I dived Speigal Grove last year and was a very large and big wreck.. I had computer, but one diver on the boat got lost and surface off wreck with no safety stop. It scared us.

Dive boat had to uproute from the mooring and motor over as the diver was a little upset and of course when they come on the boat ladders and to their bench, they were piss off, but he wasn't wearing a computer and ran out of air. He had not buddy and decide not to swim to the boat, because holding the line on the starboard side of the wreck mid ship was his safety net.

I can see why boats like that want a computer and think that the divers can rent or buy one, as if they should get one for free. If everyone keep getting free dive gear to rent, where does it end? Free tank, Free doubles, Free Canister Light? It is our responsibility to have our gear stowed and have it ready to dive, no matter what.

Julio

What does this have to do with a computer? Don't need a computer to know how much air is in your tank.

are computers required by ocean divers,key largo
for diving the spiegel grove?
Last time I dove the Grove with them, computers were NOT required. What WAS required was documentatuion of certain experience - AOW or recent deep dives (AND purchase of the reef medallion of course).

Computers don't replace ignorance. Having a computer will not keep you from running out of air, surfacing away from the boat, make you do a safety stop, etc. If planned properly, tables are just as effective & safe as a computer if not more so. I don't see why they wouldn't let you dive on tables. Probably should check with dive operation though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom