Rescheduled Coz Travel advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue Sue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
With all of the travel changes to Cozumel due to flu concerns and airline flight consolidation, perhaps we can share tips, info and advice here in order to help each other out.

For my reservations I found that Continental was very helpful and moved all of my flights , including our fellow travelers in our group of 5, without any problems. In fact, that moved the separate reservation my husband and I made for a flight from Austin to Houston for the day before the Cozumel flight.

So, we were moved out one day, we added on an extra day. Hopefully, it all works out :D We are in positive thinking mode :D
Sue

Good idea Sue. Glad you got your plans worked out. So it's not an extra day in Coz rather an extra day in Houston?

I know it's kinda trivial if your entire plans have been destroyed and you'll be lucky to get things back on schedule but it's all I got: I make a big deal out of having a good seat on the plane. This post got me thinking so I checked. Unfortunately, my flight out on 6/27 is chocked full and the return on 7/4 isn't much better. Guess I should rest easy knowing that it probably won't be consolidated or canceled much less we had decent seats to begin with. Perhaps with all the shuffling going on for May flights, some of you other's might be able to select better seats. Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, is anybody here changing their plans on going to Coz this month due to the Flu? It's my understanding that there are no reported Flu cases in Cozumel. I have only heard warnings of traveling to Mexico City and the inland regions of Mexico, not Cancun or the Riviera Maya Region.

no changed plans here, leaving on the 20th for 10 days as planned.

No plans changed here. Plan to be in Cozumel this Saturday (May 9th)

For my reservations I found that Continental was very helpful and moved all of my flights , including our fellow travelers in our group of 5, without any problems. In fact, that moved the separate reservation my husband and I made for a flight from Austin to Houston for the day before the Cozumel flight.

So, we were moved out one day, we added on an extra day.
Sue

Same thing that we ended up having to do. With the exception of canceling our flights in the first place, Continental was helpful in our case as well. I did find that their online reservation process leaves something to be desired; flights that had been canceled were still showing up as available online.

We also had to move our flights out a day and add an extra day due to flight availability. This adds an extra day of at least hotel (and possibly diving) - expenses that we hadn't planned for. We also have to fly into Cancun and shuttle/ferry over to Coz. That's not a huge issue, but it does add a few more dollars to the 'unplanned expenses' category. The rep that I talked to on the phone told me to save all my receipts because sometimes the airline will reimburse expenses that were incurred due to cancellations/reschedules. I'm not holding my breath for that, but it's a possibility.

So the stress level is getting back down to normal. As long as my regs get back from service in time...

David

Same thing that we ended up having to do. With the exception of canceling our flights in the first place, Continental was helpful in our case as well. I did find that their online reservation process leaves something to be desired; flights that had been canceled were still showing up as available online.

We also had to move our flights out a day and add an extra day due to flight availability. This adds an extra day of at least hotel (and possibly diving) - expenses that we hadn't planned for. We also have to fly into Cancun and shuttle/ferry over to Coz. That's not a huge issue, but it does add a few more dollars to the 'unplanned expenses' category. The rep that I talked to on the phone told me to save all my receipts because sometimes the airline will reimburse expenses that were incurred due to cancellations/reschedules. I'm not holding my breath for that, but it's a possibility.

So the stress level is getting back down to normal. As long as my regs get back from service in time...

David
Yeah, that was screwy. Sorry the online screen shots didn't help, but glad you kept at them on the phone until you got something.

Good idea on the receipts and claims. When you return to your original airport, request claim forms there, and - ask if they will just take care of this then and there. I have accomplished then and there paid claims with two other airlines over the years. Sometime station employees are authorized to write checks. If not, file the claim anyway; hopefully the airline will pay rather than argue.

What about Trip Insurance claims? Worth a phone call to ask if this is covered.

Many will suggest vans and services from Cancun to PDC, but I just took the bus. Cheap! I'm not sure what it was out of the airport as I took it out of Cancun central, but less than $3 each way. I tipped the tricycle porter who met the bus in PDC and hauled my bags to the ferry more than that - but I had a lot of luggage. If you can roll you own, cool. :thumb:

There are two ferry companies serving PDC-Cozumel. I always get one-way tickets as there is no guarantee that the company I buy a round-trip ticket will be running at the time I return; they are flaky. When I cross, I want the next boat out.

Have a good trip...!

No change of plans here.I leave in 16 days.And I can hardly wait ti touch down
Check your seat assignments often. Any plane changes can screw you. I once had a plane change, same equipment, same flight, same everything - except the lousy seat I got.

If you don't have an assigned seat, get one if possible as you're less likely to get bumped. And bumps to confirmed tickets do happen. :mad:

When I flew Continental to Bonaire in Feb this year with my wife, buddy and his wife ( buddy flew from Portland, OR and my wife and I from San Jose, CA) Continental changed our flights twice just a few months before our departure. The first time they changed it, they turned around on the same day and moved it back to the original flight, they separated my wife and I from my buddy and his wife. The second time they changed our flight, they kept my buddy and his wife in the same seats, but they moved me to the back of the plane separating me from wife and friends. I had to call Continental to complain that this was totally unacceptable since I had reserved the flights 10 months in advance. Make sure that you specify to have you notified by phone of any changes, I had also specified to be notified by email, I never did receive any notification by email. I check often on any reservations I have going to the Caribbean now. Delta is also notorious for unnotified changes.

Back
Top Bottom