Rescue class for the semi-fit diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the course I took wasn't hard at all physically, but was mentally.

I won't say "wasn't hard at all" in regard to physical stress, but it was seriously mentally draining..

The hardest part for me was the Fireman's carry of a diver in full gear out of the surf

No need. Pulled out a cutting tool, and got told "time out".......

IIRC, Jim Lapenta (@Jim Lapenta) used to actually have a special harness that he used for the class that the students actually cut a diver out of gear..... That is making it REAL!

congratulations on a job well done.......sometime it hurts so good.

Sam, it's because Chicago has corrupt politicians who are continually voted in by unregistered voters. A large percentage of the population is living off the taxpayers and crime is rampant. SoCal on the other hand is...uh, never mind. :)

As a DM I try to DM at least one Rescue Class a year just to help keep my skills refreshed. Even if I am not doing all the skills just being in the class helps keep them fresh. One of the best parts and can be the worst parts is being the lost diver. I get a chance to to just lay on the bottom and take a nap until I am found. I have almost been drowned on the tow back in receiving rescue breaths and had second stages full of sand from being dragged thou the sand on the way in.

And why aren't you enrolling in the USC course? It will certainly expand your diving horizons
I live and dive in California and have been trying to do this course for 2 years now - I'm holding off on doing Rescue through any other agency because this is the one I want to do. In 2016 it was cancelled and in 2017, not even scheduled. Being offered once a year also doesn't make it easy and you have to use a week's vacation time for it at minimum; this is quite a commitment.

Honestly, my concern always was that it would fill up too fast for me to sign up but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Now, I'm trying to convince people to sign up with me so it doesn't get cancelled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom