Rescue class for the semi-fit diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There have been a few threads lately about how fit a diver has to be to do Rescue. I'm semi in shape. I bit the bullet two months ago and signed up for Rescue, which took place the weekend just past. Saturday was 4 hours in the classroom. Yesterday was a full day 8-5 at the quarry. No pool work at all. Everything at the quarry.

My instructors pride themselves on a tough class, and boy, was it physically tough. I knew that going in. My workouts consisted of a mile of laps in the pool twice a week. I recently dropped that to do the recumbent bike, but that bothered my knees and sciatica so back to the pool I went. I also had several weeks of no workouts at all due to resting one knee that was bothering me.

My endurance was OK. I was definitely beat. It would have been easier if my endurance was better.

I was semi-concerned how my knees would hold up. They actually didn't hurt during the class, even when doing the backpack carry - I did it with a guy taller and heavier than I am. The chair carry was interesting. The backpack carry was actually much easier for me, which was a big surprise.

It's my sciatica that was really screaming during the day. Some Motrin and stretches during the day helped. I'd prepared my knees and sciatica for the day with Motrin and Icy Hot with Lidocaine (that stuff is magic).

All the laps really helped when I had to jump into 50ft deep water with just mask and fins (in a new, very buoyant 3mm) to do a swimming rescue. I'm not a strong swimmer, but give me a pair of fins and I turn into a speed demon! I had no clue how buoyant even a new 3mm would be! I only broke it out because I'd have roasted in my 5mm. We didn't go deeper than 20ft or so. Water temp was 78F at that depth.

Swimming someone in about 150ft to shore after bringing them up from 20ft down, while ditching their gear and yours was definitely tiring!

We did the class in very unseasonable, more than 90F degree heat and blazing sun. We were very, very well hydrated.

I spent today hobbling around the office. Left knee is definitely not happy. I never work out the day before or the day after diving as I've found it works best for me. I'll be in the pool tomorrow and Thursday and probably Wednesday. I'll be diving both Saturday and Sunday this coming weekend.

This was a good time for me to take Rescue. I was originally going to take it next season, but changed my mind. I ended up taking it with 3 friends/dive buddies, which made a very intense day actually very fun! :D Very challenging class, but a big confidence builder, too!

I'll be hitting the pool more than twice a week this off season, as well as a lot more weight training.

Rescue really was a confidence booster for me I think I would like to repeat Rescue checkout dives every couple years to keep skills up, like we do for CPR card.

Congrats!my RD class consisted of two full days in the water and classroom? It's one of the best add ons to achieve....good for you.

I was in decent shape at then age 52. Was warned about how physical it was, but the course I took wasn't hard at all physically, but was mentally. I believe Rescue courses vary a lot with the instructor.

The hardest part for me was the Fireman's carry of a diver in full gear out of the surf. I'm glad they don't do that anymore. Isn't the Rescue class supposed to be two days of skills?

Sounds like they pushed you hard to get it all done in one day, which is harder on the lower back and joints. We had ours spread over three days when in Bermuda, which seems less physically demanding when spread out like that, however more time to get sunburnt!

Rescue really was a confidence booster for me I think I would like to repeat Rescue checkout dives every couple years to keep skills up, like we do for CPR card.
Continuing education, experience training for non-professional recreational rescue divers and potential real-world exposure to actual dive accident victims; And for those who are additionally interested in hyperbaric chamber training operations solely for the treatment of emergency dive casualties, and would like to be a member of the volunteer 24/7 stand-by Catalina chamber crew:

Educational Programs > USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

Continuing education, experience training for non-professional recreational rescue divers and potential real-world exposure to actual dive accident victims; And for those who are additionally interested in hyperbaric chamber training operations solely for the treatment of emergency dive casualties, and would like to be a member of the volunteer 24/7 stand-by Catalina chamber crew:

Educational Programs > USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
I so want to do this next Spring. Only one class per year for some options, but we couldn’t come until after March. Why not a summer vacation with educational experience built in?

@Marie13
Congrats-- Another step up the ladder

@Kevrumbo
Thanks for the post on the USC Chamber

Some years ago NAUI offered a scholarship to the then 2 week long course, Son Sam IV applied won the scholarship and completed the entire program -- and what a program !

Son Sam IV -- continued on to became a Doctor, completed a 4 year ER residence and 2 year Scripps Hyperbaric fellowship and is currently the Director of ER/Hyperbarics at a local hospital.

@Francesa

Well worth your time and $$$$$-- Very few divers have seen a chamber even fewer have made chamber dives and only a precious few have completed the USC course--So DO IT !

SAM

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-26_10-12-17.png
    upload_2017-9-26_10-12-17.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 42
I've done a chamber dive at our local hospital chamber that's open to divers. Very neat experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom