Rescue Class Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm signed up for Rescue Class in August. Been diving for a year and a half, completed nearly 50 dives in various saltwater and fresh water locations. Although I enjoyed my Advanced class, Rescue sounds more challenging and rewarding.

I'd like to hear from divers who have been through Rescue. How was it? Did you find it difficult? Easy?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Will

Will- The number one prerequisite for the rescue class is a positive attitude. The class is easy, difficult, rewarding & challenging all at the same time.

Mine went pretty easily until the excercise where I had to maneuver the instructor who weighed 1.5 times what I do onto the dock. The dock was a concrete pier about 1 foot above the water in an ironshore area with lots of surge. It took a number of tries and both the instructor and I took quite a beating, but he was game, and eventually I did it. It's one of those things where the satisfaction keeps cuts and bruises from hurting.

Have fun. dF

Hi All,

I'm signed up for Rescue Class in August. Been diving for a year and a half, completed nearly 50 dives in various saltwater and fresh water locations. Although I enjoyed my Advanced class, Rescue sounds more challenging and rewarding.

I'd like to hear from divers who have been through Rescue. How was it? Did you find it difficult? Easy?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Will

I wouldn't use difficult or easy to describe Rescue...exhausting would be a more accurate term. None of the concepts or skills you learn are really difficult, they are pretty basic, but they are good techniques. Having to do the Rescue scenarios, response from shore, etc. are extremely exhausting if you're not physically fit and already used to doing heavy cardio.

On the other hand, it was the best class I ever took. The stuff you learn is priceless, and in my case, finding out one of the girls in the class has a phobia with geese at a picnic table at a lake where there's plenty of geese begging for food was pretty priceless too...especially when me and the instructor started throwing food at her feet so the geese attacked her. :D

I wouldn't use difficult or easy to describe Rescue...exhausting would be a more accurate term. None of the concepts or skills you learn are really difficult, they are pretty basic, but they are good techniques. Having to do the Rescue scenarios, response from shore, etc. are extremely exhausting if you're not physically fit and already used to doing heavy cardio.

On the other hand, it was the best class I ever took. The stuff you learn is priceless, and in my case, finding out one of the girls in the class has a phobia with geese at a picnic table at a lake where there's plenty of geese begging for food was pretty priceless too...especially when me and the instructor started throwing food at her feet so the geese attacked her. :D
\

I would also say that it is one of the best classes I've taken. There are a lot of techniques used in the class that I think makes you a better diver. You have to think throught the scenerios but it is quite rewarding to see it all come together.

Well worth taking. Enjoy the class and let us know how it goes.

...my favourite course to teach!

A little advice:

> Eat light meals before the evolutions
> Get plenty of rest
> Stay hydrated

Further - do all the evolutions as if you were doing them for real, you will get SO MUCH MORE out of the whole experience.

I throw alot of First Aid & resucitation into it; I reckon it to be a good idea that people know how to revive someone once they've landed them ashore. P.A.D.I. requires only ( in part ) a current cpr cert. for their course, which I feel is insufficient. If you want to be a good "go to" rescuer, then get, as a minimum, standard 1st aid. O2 admin. & defib. are excellent adjuncts.

Go forth & save lives young man!

Best,
DSD

...my favourite course to teach!

A little advice:

> Eat light meals before the evolutions
> Get plenty of rest
> Stay hydrated

Further - do all the evolutions as if you were doing them for real, you will get SO MUCH MORE out of the whole experience.

I throw alot of First Aid & resucitation into it; I reckon it to be a good idea that people know how to revive someone once they've landed them ashore. P.A.D.I. requires only ( in part ) a current cpr cert. for their course, which I feel is insufficient. If you want to be a good "go to" rescuer, then get, as a minimum, standard 1st aid. O2 admin. & defib. are excellent adjuncts.

Go forth & save lives young man!

Best,
DSD

One thing I'll add on to this is that it's my understanding from a dentist who took the Rescue class with me, so obviously she has American Heart Association's BCLS cert, that the EFR cert is somewhat watered down. I would personally recommend AHA's BCLS cert over the EFR cert since it not only covers CPR but defibrillation as well plus a lot of other good information...it's geared towards health care providers so obviously it's going to be more in-depth than just a CPR cert.

An observation I have made of friends/acquaintances considering a Rescue Class: They are often afraid of 'failing'. As such, many have decided not to take the class, convinced there is no way they could 'pass.' It's a really unfortunate perception. Have any of you noticed a similar thing?

An observation I have made of friends/acquaintances considering a Rescue Class: They are often afraid of 'failing'. As such, many have decided not to take the class, convinced there is no way they could 'pass.' It's a really unfortunate perception. Have any of you noticed a similar thing?

No, but there was one or two people in my class who should have failed....I sure as hell would not ask them to do anything in an emergency other than to stay out of everyone's way...

No, but there was one or two people in my class who should have failed....I sure as hell would not ask them to do anything in an emergency other than to stay out of everyone's way...

How come they were passed then? Seems a bit dodgy... I wouldn't want to be in a class where I was passed unfairly.

Back
Top Bottom