Rescue Class Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See, my opinion is that if it is a rescue class from PADI or SSI or similar, I don't care how well people do in it. It's not a professional level class. It's for knowledge and training. I want everyone to take it. I don't want people to be afraid of 'failing.' Someone who takes the class but doesn't necessarily do well has at least learned something - assuming of course that they were there to sincerely learn.

See, my opinion is that if it is a rescue class from PADI or SSI or similar, I don't care how well people do in it. It's not a professional level class. It's for knowledge and training. I want everyone to take it. I don't want people to be afraid of 'failing.' Someone who takes the class but doesn't necessarily do well has at least learned something - assuming of course that they were there to sincerely learn.

I disagree. If I am going to pay for a Rescue class I want to come out knowing the full requirements, as that is what I am paying for. Also passing people who didn't do well may give people a false sense of security about their skills and may get in the way at a real rescue. Also knowing you can fail a class makes a lot of people try harder. If someone has not done so well but has tried, then the instructor should have a word with them and talk them through their issues. If she thinks they are ok after that then perhaps then they can be passed. But as emttim mentioned, in his experience, some people left his class not prepared to handle an emergency.

The course taken has a lot to do with it. The SSI Stress and Rescue class is more about recognizing problems early, than about rescuing someone directly. It is something that I want everyone to take, to have that extra bit of knowledge. Perhaps the agencies need something like Rescue I and Rescue II, with II being a more advanced course for those more serious about rescue training. I just think that the info being taught in these courses is something that all divers should have, both the good one and bad ones. Ultimately this goes back to the endless discussion about what gets taught in OW and AOW courses, but let's not go there :)

I disagree ...

How come they were passed then? Seems a bit dodgy... I wouldn't want to be in a class where I was passed unfairly.
Unfortunately, some instructors think you're paying for a card, and not paying for a class.

...as a professional emergency responder, I get to see plenty of people, both professional & lay person, "in action".

The truth is, folks have a wide variance in personal capacity to respond. Some remain cool & focused, while others display a wide spectrum of somewhat limited abilities.

What is important to me is that a candidate works hard to the level of their personal ability. In a real emergency, you'll have that select group who'll step up & take charge; others will be keen to physically make the rescue; still others feel comfortable in the role of "scribe", while still others want to make the 911 call, wait to meet the emergency responders & hold the door for them. ALL those roles are VERY important, & nature provides us a wide range of personalities to cover all the bases.

With this reality in mind, the only people who do not complete my courses are the lazy, the disinterested, & those in need of an attitude adjustment.

Regards,
DSD

One thing I'll add on to this is that it's my understanding from a dentist who took the Rescue class with me, so obviously she has American Heart Association's BCLS cert, that the EFR cert is somewhat watered down. I would personally recommend AHA's BCLS cert over the EFR cert since it not only covers CPR but defibrillation as well plus a lot of other good information...it's geared towards health care providers so obviously it's going to be more in-depth than just a CPR cert.

...to EFR teaching at the request of my LDS employer on the assumption that the program was soon to receive national accreditation. People often need a recognized cert. for their workplace, thus the PADI cert. falls short of their needs.

I have yet to teach one course of EFR as they have not as yet received that designation.

I continue to teach for the Red Cross as well as the International Trauma Life Support group, whose programs cover all the needs of my aquatic students.

Best,
DSD

Last edited:
WOW! Lots of great advice. Thank you very much for the feedback! I think I'll intensify my workout at the gym for the next few weeks to prepare.

WOW! Lots of great advice. Thank you very much for the feedback! I think I'll intensify my workout at the gym for the next few weeks to prepare.

Best of learning to you Will and consider, if nothing else, going to your local library and reading up on water safety/rescue in a lifeguard manual. The YMCA "On the Guard" manual is very good. There is detailed info on types of situations, distressed swimmers, active and passive drownings and also very useful info on drowning physiology. Of course this isn't a substitute for actual training but I think it just may enhance your rescue diver experience and, you never know, you may pursue lifeguard training at some point!

This is a certification that I am looking forward to acheiving (likely next summer). I think it is a skill that should be learned by all divers and I will certainly be more confident knowing that I have the training necessary to assist someone if required.

How come they were passed then? Seems a bit dodgy... I wouldn't want to be in a class where I was passed unfairly.

Well, they were able to successfully complete all of the requirements as well as the rescue scenario. There's actually only one person in particular I can think of, and honestly, it has nothing to do with the course and everything to do with how timid she is. I am fully confident that in an emergency, if no one else was around, she would not step up to the plate and I can only hope she would have enough sense left over while freaking out to call 911 so the professionals can show up and take care of business.

Yeah, the person I'm thinking of I know for a fact took it simply to get in a few more dives with an instructor around because she's that lacking in confidence as far as her dive skills goes. Unfortunately, some people simply have such piss poor confidence in themselves that it's a personal problem, and as long as they meet the requirements of the course there's not much I can see that the instructor could do.

I disagree. If I am going to pay for a Rescue class I want to come out knowing the full requirements, as that is what I am paying for. Also passing people who didn't do well may give people a false sense of security about their skills and may get in the way at a real rescue. Also knowing you can fail a class makes a lot of people try harder. If someone has not done so well but has tried, then the instructor should have a word with them and talk them through their issues. If she thinks they are ok after that then perhaps then they can be passed. But as emttim mentioned, in his experience, some people left his class not prepared to handle an emergency.

This is what I'm worried about. I handle medical emergencies all the time, and even then, there's times where I am simply not equipped to handle a patient and I call 911 (which the facility should have done initially) to come take the patient. The problem with laypeople, especially laypeople who have no confidence in themselves despite rescue training, is that they may not only perform a rescue inadequately or worse yet, they may fail to execute any sort of rescue to include calling 911.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom