"Rescue Diver" - Your experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm relieved to say that it's over. I have had a great weekend and the instructors laid on some good fun scenarios:

1. A OOA diver trapped under the tail of a submarine (yes, there is a sub in our quarry). His fully inflated BC had only one loose clip holding it on. You can guess what happened when I pulled him out!
2. An unconscious diver entangled in some rope.
3. On a simple wreck dive dealing with a suddenly panicked diver.
3. While administering Rescue Breaths and CPR at the shore to a non-breathing diver, his buddy collapses next to us.

In all, it was an eye-opening, exhausting, fun and rewarding couple of days. I will never look at diving in the same way and I'm proud to have obtained my Rescue Diver cert! :)

Last edited:
But there's another side to Rescue class that doesn't sometimes get emphasized enough ... and that's how to prevent the need for rescue in the first place.

Bullseye.

I'm in a unique position at the shop where I have been giving lessons because I can build scenarios based upon real-world accidents. "out of the box" scenarios are cute but what I want to get across to students are three things:

1) the vast majority of accidents don't involve "lost divers" or searching around on the bottom. In one of my standard scenarios I have a diver a little further up on the jetty have a "heart-attack" before he's even in the water. He falls, rolls over and lands in the water. Based on a real world event.

Other scenarios I've used are
- a victim who drops a tank on their foot breaking it.
- a dislocated shoulder caused by someone with a preexisting condition picking up gear that was too heavy
- a DCS caused by someone who screwed up launching a dsmb and got dragged to the surface by the damned thing
- an arguing buddy pair under water who start pushing and shoving each other because they're angry at each other. It escalates to the point that one of the buddies mask is full of water and they make a panic ascent
- a diver who tried to carry something heavy to the surface and is unable to establish positive buoyancy and sinks in shallow water, drowning
- a diver who was diving with overloaded integrated weight pockets and loses a pocket and makes an inverted uncontrolled ascent in a drysuit, holds their breath and has a lung barotrauma.
- etc etc. there are several others

sadly all of the above are based on real world accidents.

2) when the coin should fall that a serious accident is actually happening. From personal experience I know that two things happen at accident sites (1) people call the EMS too late because they don't believe it's real and (2) they call with their cell phones and have no idea a ALL where they are.

In this case I make a scenario that develops in such a way that students are left wondering if it's real or not. I also give them a "911" number, which is my own cellphone number and when they call teh fate of the victim depends entirely on whether or not they are able to clearly explain *where they are*.

3) control is coordination.

From personal experience I know that one thing above all others, will keep the accident site under control when everyone (with the best of intentions) is trying to mobilize support...... which is that rescuers need to "take control". The last thing you need is 3 separate rescues going on at the same time.... so *someone* needs to take control. What I tell me students is that they don't need to be the one to control everything but if a natural "leader" steps up they should support them.

Why do I do this? I've actually witnessed an accident where an instructor from another agency tried starting a parallel rescue and a bystander started screaming at my own OW students who were not even certified, to "WAKE THE F*K UP AND GO SEARCH FOR THE VICTIM". I managed to intercept him and asked him, "did you ask these divers what their certification level is"? He didn't. I told him on no uncertain terms that he needed to back down. That I was in control and if he would either follow my lead or I would have the police remove him from the scene. The point being, that stuff like this happens in the real world, and that part of the rescue course should be dedicated to making sure that other people's "best efforts" don't cause delays or major mistakes. As an aside, as soon as that guy knew that there was someone in charge he became an asset and did a lot to help.

It's also highly important to know when to relinquish control to the professionals. At some point the paramedics or other EMS professionals are going to want to take control. Even if you've been been in control from the start then you need clearly state, "You are in control". It's important to the EMS personnel as well to understand that you're ready to help them but that it's their call. I've assisted at multiple accidents in the past (not all diving related). In some cases the EMS personnel will follow instructions if it's clear that the situation is under control and some cases they will forcefully take over control. What ever happens, it's really important that everyone keeps focused on saving the victim and not playing little s****ass power games. If the EMS wants to take over the FFS let them!

R..

Wow--these comments really reinforce that a student's experience with Rescue course depends so much on the individual instructor. I thought my PADI Rescue course a few years ago threw some great scenarios at us (the students in the class), and almost the entire last day of our course we had to always be on our toes. We never knew when we were "in class" as opposed to "on a break"--except for lunch, there were seemingly no well-defined "breaks"; rather, the instructor would throw us a scenario when we least expected it. Even when we were all pretty sure it was over for the day and had packed up our gear and started dreaming about a cold beer, they threw one last scenario at us just as the boat was reaching the dock. In contrast, my wife took Rescue recently, and her instructor seemed to teach what I might call the minimum. Her instructor seemed to leave a clear dividing line between when they were "in class" and expected to react to scenarios and on a break (or done with the class for the day), and the scenarios didn't seem all that creative to me. None of her scenarios involved first aid (that is, non-CPR). She learned a lot, but my impression was that the instructor could have done more and made it a really memorable experience.

Rob, as usual, some VERY good ideas there . . . I just passed them along to Peter, for his next Rescue class.

The part I enjoyed the most:

Exercise #7 - Unresponsive Diver at Surface. This is the KEY exercise you will have, as a matter of fact you have to perfect it with time if you are looking forward to do a Divemaster and/or Instructor course.

The fun: We did this exercise on a cold dam lake, here in Argentina, so the completion os the skill is actually to BRING the victim out of the water. I got to tell you, I'm a big guy (~ 220 lbs. 6'4") and my buddy is... small :D. I don't know if the instructor did it on purpose, but that poor guy had to "rescue" me 3 times, and each time was harder as he was going out of strength!! The last one I couldn't resist the laughter, which made it worse for him! Finally, we took a break, and on our last attempt (and formal) attempt, we made it almost at demo-level.

So the fun, is up to you and the instructor! but of course is a course to be taken very seriously, as the skills that you'll be learning are critical.

ENJOY!

Ale

...//... I will never look at diving in the same way...//...

Yes! Exactly! Perfect! :clapping:

Rescue is situational so there is no conceivable course that can cover everything in two days. Worse yet, "rescue" can be served up as a flood of information and drills on one end of the spectrum and an endless series of "in your face" surprise scenarios at the other end of the spectrum. The prospective student should be aware of this and pick a style and instructor that offers maximum personal benefit.

Back to the OP's statement. Yes, a switch was thrown. A new level of awareness was attained. This is what any good rescue class should instill in its participants. Keep that awareness and continue with it.

Rescue is not just a course, it is a continuing state of mind.

My Rescue Diver instructor placed heavy emphasis on free diving rescue. Lots of surface rescues and diving down to 20-ft to bring up unconscious divers.

Yes, a switch was thrown.

I think that sums it up for me.

Up until this point, my diving has always been about me - regardless of the dive, I've always focused on my gear, my bouyancy, my breathing, my finning and so on. The switch for me was that this weekend I found that I was paying attention to other divers. For example, on the walk to our entry point, I reached down and clipped-on my buddy's dangling octopus and pointed out that his mask strap was twisted.

Sounds like fun.

Sounds like you are going to learn.

I love it when instructors can have fun and genuinly enjoy teaching - there is a lot more learning that way.

Good luck, come back and tell us what scenarios you and your buddies got.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom