Rescue diving in the workplace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a trained recreational rescue diver working for the local Municipality Fire Brigade in South Africa, my question is why are we not aloud to respond to water rescue to safe lifes that is under the water
Thank you, awaits further information
Kobus van Eeden

I have absolutely no familiarity with your agency specifically or Fire/Rescue in SA in general, but if you would find it helpful I can give you a few reasons which would be pertinent in the US.

1. Training. Recreational buddy rescue and Public Safety Diving are very different animals. Without getting into the Haz-Mat issues, you need to be able to run a repeatable, verifiable, and tight pattern in zero visibility. This is nigh impossible without using a line (jackstay or tended pattern) and connecting multiple patterns is best done with shore support. Your first task is not to rescue the victim; your first task is to find the victim. If you are in rescue mode, you can then bring the victim up; but you need to be able to cope with any entanglement issues during the search and rescue, including extricating the victim from a vehicle. If you are in recovery mode, your responsibility shifts to properly documenting the scene, preserving evidence/chain of custody, and respectfully returning the victim to the surface (preferably already in a body bag). Unless your recreational rescue class deviated considerably from the usual standards, I doubt all these points were covered.

2. Credentialing. In a criminal trial, because of your role in the recovery, you may be called to testify. Without the proper training, the integrity of your evidence is in question. Without the proper training, if you are injured or die during a dive, your organization may be civilly or criminally liable. They are certainly morally so.

3. Safety. PSD is a team animal. The only way in which to ensure a fast, safe response is for each member to know and trust the others; working in parallel. Without a team, you are a liability; not an asset. If your department has a team, even if you had the proper training, you would need to train with them to build that trust and learn the game-plan. If I walked up to you at a structure fire and said I was a firefighter, would you let me pack up and take the nozzle?

4. Liability. Simply put, this is a dangerous business. Your department may not want to deal with the liability and expense of a team.... and certainly not with that of a lone wolf splashing with no back-up.

I have no idea what your specific agency's policies and reasoning are, but these are a few common reasons. I'd be happy to answer any additional questions about them, but remember: nobody at your agency gives a hoot about whether I think you should be able to dive or not.

If you want the real answer, you'll have to ask your officer.

Because you do not have the proper training. It is that simple. Your recreational rescue course in no way makes you qualified to start doing rescue calls. It is designed for you to help divers in distress when you are either on site or near-by. Based on that premise alone it is going on the assumption that the area where the rescue needs to be performed is an environment conducive to safe diving, (i.e. a good dive spot). Unfortunately for PSDs, we rarely see those good spots. You need further training to teach you to deal with these harsher diving conditions.

Think of it as someone who learns to fly a two-seater airplane wanting to fly an F-18. Why not they are both flying...., but they are not the same and while the first experience certainly helps towards getting to fly the F-18, it is not nearly enough.

The recreational version of dive rescue I team is in the range of 30-40 hours long. The professional version of the same course is closer to 300 hours.

You just need to take more training....

Not a PSD here, but to help explain things to the OP, perhaps the PSDs could also provide some numbers regarding the rate of fatalities on the part of rescuers without adequate training and backup, especially as compared to the rate of fatalities fighting fires on the surface.

Also, the OP talks about saving lives. How often are you rescuing people compared to how often are you recovering bodies? It'll be very dependent on situation, but perhaps also worth talking through.

Outside of the great answers you've already gotten, the fact is that asking exactly that question is the reason a lot of divers get started down the path to having a public safety dive team that CAN handle those kinds of emergencies.

It can be a long road to get the equipment and training and backing to do it, but if you're truly interested, good luck getting your team off the ground, kobusvaneeden.

I don't have number to quote, but in the case of rescue vs. recovery they are not mutually exclusive. In fact two dives in the same spot, one a rescue and one a recovery, the rescue would be considered more dangerous. Time is of the essence, therefore walkthroughs, dirt dives, dive plans and methodologies are not as painstakingly planned out as when a team knows they are looking for bodies and take the time on site to identify and minimize each and every possible risk prior to splashing a diver.

I personally have been invloved in numerous body recoveries over the years of individuals (SCUBA and swimming) who lost their life by attempting to rescue someone without having adequate training. These noble heroes put themselves in harms way for the sake of another and paid the ultimate price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom