• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Research of Sardine Run Diving

Discussion in 'Africa' started by timz, Nov 27, 2018.

1. timz

timz Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hi everyone,

Sardine run has always been one of my must dive experience within my lifetime... However, most of my friend have never done any research on Sardine Run diving at South Africa.

Some question I would like to ask.
    -How are the packages for Sardine Run goes in terms of price, accommodation, dive per day?
    -How would the water temperature be during the Sardine Run season
    -Is there any LOB doing Sardine Run..? Most of the packages I saw online are land base accommodation.
    -What are the recommended amount of days for the Sardine Run diving trip..?

Is there anything else I should know..?

Thank you in advance. Appreciated.

Tim

2. FettSolo

FettSolo Divemaster Candidate

Hi Tim,

I'll preface by saying this is all from my personal research. I have an interest in diving the Sardine Run as well; just have not had the opportunity yet. But I'll share what I've learned so far, and maybe someone more experienced can chime in.

-I've seen Sardine Run packages from $2,000 USD up through $5,000 USD. These are all full board, with long days on the water (unless there's nothing going on, see below).
    -Water temperature is 15 – 22ºC (59 – 71 ºF)
    -There are no Sardine Run LOB.
    -The package trips seem to all be a minimum of 5 days, up to 14 days. This is because some days can get blown out due to weather. In addition, the sardines obviously need to appear on schedule in order for the action to take place, and sometimes this does not occur right away.

Hope that helps!

3. timz

timz Barracuda

Thank you so much... Good to know... Looks like a 7mm suit is required for Sardine Run.

I will continue my research and post on this page.

4. JacoVisage

JacoVisage Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
  5. bartolia89

bartolia89 Garibaldi

Hi, I am looking to do the sardine run either from Port Elizabeth/East London in June or Port St Johns in July. Which one would be the best location ? Thanks

Alex

6. Sbiriguda

Sbiriguda Manta Ray

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I am no expert but I learnt from people who organize these trips that this question must be addressed to them directly. The idea is that in June the migration is closer to west and south coast of South Africa, in July and especially in late July it's more in south west coast of South Africa. Anyway the perfect match of place and timing is probably not even possible to assess, but for sure the ones who can give you an approximated but informed feedback are those who organize the trips