Researching for my next drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torn (no pun intended) on whether to go back to a latex neck or give the more flexible quick neck system a shot.
My plan is to dive the latex seal to the end and then a DIY install of the Quick Neck. The dry tape from DRIS makes wrist seal replacement really easy, and a neck seal should be doable.

I am doing the same on my Fusion as we speak. I am diving with my latex neck seal until it just looks like it is ready to give up the ghost, then I will install the Quick Neck and go to silicone. I currently have the self installed SiTech wrist rings and love my Fusion. I have both the Bullet and Sport skin.

Maybe your problem with reaching across your chest is the same thing?

I don't think this is it. I can try putting the seals up a bit further from my wrist just to double check.

I haven't really looked at a Neck Tite, but I'm definitely fuzzy on how it would restrict you from reaching across your chest.

Think of wearing a hard plastic Frisbee around your neck with it resting on your collar bones. As the arm comes up to reach across to the other side the top part of the arm where it meets your shoulder bumps up against that Frisbee. As the Frisbee isn't flexible it limits the movement.

I am doing the same on my Fusion as we speak. I am diving with my latex neck seal until it just looks like it is ready to give up the ghost, then I will install the Quick Neck and go to silicone. I currently have the self installed SiTech wrist rings and love my Fusion. I have both the Bullet and Sport skin.

Interesting. Wonder if I should give the Quick neck a go right off the bat or just go back to latex and try that. Either option is definitely easier and cheaper than selling off my fusion and getting a new suit.

Interesting. Wonder if I should give the Quick neck a go right off the bat or just go back to latex and try that. Either option is definitely easier and cheaper than selling off my fusion and getting a new suit.

I would definitely try the Quick Neck first.. I have no issue with mobility in my Fusion and I am on the top side of the L/XL suit. The only time I feel any restrictive movement is when I get my harness on my BP/W a tad too tight. Once I loosen my harness back up it is like I am in my warm pajamas..

PS. Even though it is not "required" I have taken and aired my suit up a bit after getting it all on and before putting my gear on and then I will make sure everything is laying good as in base layer and then pull my neck seal to drain the air..

I would definitely try the Quick Neck first.. I have no issue with mobility in my Fusion and I am on the top side of the L/XL suit. The only time I feel any restrictive movement is when I get my harness on my BP/W a tad too tight. Once I loosen my harness back up it is like I am in my warm pajamas..

Interesting. Thanks Doby.

PS. Even though it is not "required" I have taken and aired my suit up a bit after getting it all on and before putting my gear on and then I will make sure everything is laying good as in base layer and then pull my neck seal to drain the air..

I like this strategy, I may have to give it a shot.

Wonder if I should give the Quick neck a go right off the bat or just go back to latex and try that.
I would go Quick Neck now before going back to latex, on the theory that swapping ring to ring might be easier than going ring to latex to ring. You already have a pre-tailored area of drycore for the new ring. Reverting to latex might involve extra work later for the Quick Neck.

I am currently diving a Whites Fusion Tech drysuit with SLT. I am falling out of love with the suit. I don't feel like I have great flexibility and it's a chore to don and doff.

I've owned over 15 different drysuits; only really dove about 4 of them often (but I still dove the other ones). My favorite has been the BARE NexGen. Such a simple suit. Easy to don, easy to take off. Dries quickly. Is very baggy so I never feel pinched in it. Very light. Rear shoulder entry. Has neoprene socks, which is the best foot solution for drysuits, IMO. And NexGens are relatively inexpensive.

If your main complaints are flexibility and the ability to put it on and off, you might want to throw it in your selection mix. The one reason not to get it is if you're a wreck diver or otherwise are "hard" on your suit. It's not as durable as say, a Cordura exterior suit.

One thing I think people overthink and overemphasize is buying the drysuit with the "perfect fit". IMO, it's a better idea to buy a slightly oversized suit. When you descend, the suit will suck to your body anyway. But the extra material will give you room to stretch and relax. One thing that drives me crazy is lack of mobility. I enjoy mobility more than I insist on being "streamlined".

We just bought a drysuit from the OThree. It was a fully-custom Ri2-100 shipped to the US for ~$1500 and the quality is fantastic. They had absolutely fantastic customer service.
O Three are amazing quality, all commercial diving in the fish farms or underwater welding industry here in Ireland and U.K. use O Three, fully custom made, compressed neoprene drysuit.

Another one to research would be Ursuit. Not many have heard of this company. I went to a dive show in Ireland and met one of the managers of Ursuit, he was very friendly, gave me a lot of helpful info. Have not used one myself but anyone who has used any Fourth Element Drysuit, has used an Ursuit drysuit, as Ursuit in fact make fourth element drysuit for fourth element. They are Finnish made, fully customisable (you can add wrist seals, pockets(where, how big), and anything else. I have seen these suits in person and they are top notch quality, and actually they use better material in their suits than fourth element's argonaut drysuit (more durable and more flexibility) the manager told me

Last edited:
O Three are amazing quality, all commercial diving in the fish farms or underwater welding industry here in Ireland and U.K. use O Three, fully custom made, compressed neoprene drysuit.

Another one to research would be Ursuit. Not many have heard of this company. I went to a dive show in Ireland and met one of the managers of Ursuit, he was very friendly, gave me a lot of helpful info. Have not used one myself but anyone who has used any Fourth Element Drysuit, has used an Ursuit drysuit, as Ursuit in fact make the fourth element argonaut. They are Finnish made, fully customisable (you can add wrist seals, pockets(where, how big), and anything else. I have seen these suits in person and they are top notch quality, and actually they use better material in their suits than fourth element's argonaut drysuit (more durable and more flexibility)

I'm hesitant with the Ursuits/Argonauts. A buddy dives a 4E Argonaut and has had 3 suits completely fail with seam leaks. He bought his suit like 2.5-3 years ago (if not longer) and I think he has like 10 dry dives in his suits. They've sent him replacements multiple times, "repaired" multiple times, sent him loaner suits, sent him free undergarments as apologies, etc.

The customer service seems to be great, but the quality isn't close to what I consider acceptable.

I'm hesitant with the Ursuits/Argonauts. A buddy dives a 4E Argonaut and has had 3 suits completely fail with seam leaks. He bought his suit like 2.5-3 years ago (if not longer) and I think he has like 10 dry dives in his suits. They've sent him replacements multiple times, "repaired" multiple times, sent him loaner suits, sent him free undergarments as apologies, etc.

The customer service seems to be great, but the quality isn't close to what I consider acceptable.
4E argonaut has a reputation of being a great drysuit, its unfortunate your buddy got one of the very, very rare mishaps as with any company who makes anything at all, it was just a mistake. Don't let that sway your opinion....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom