Researching for my next drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am currently diving a Whites Fusion Tech drysuit with SLT. I am falling out of love with the suit. I don't feel like I have great flexibility and it's a chore to don and doff.
Have you considered changing to a lighter skin on the Fusion? I dive a Fusion Sport and find it very flexible. Don and doff is as fast as my buddies in trilam just a different technique. I was initially ready to give up on the Fusion but now find it quite satisfactory.

When I do get another suit I want to try compressed neoprene with a front zipper, probably the Bare XCS2.

Have you considered changing to a lighter skin on the Fusion? I dive a Fusion Sport and find it very flexible. Don and doff is as fast as my buddies in trilam just a different technique. I was initially ready to give up on the Fusion but now find it quite satisfactory.

When I do get another suit I want to try compressed neoprene with a front zipper, probably the Bare XCS2.

I had the bullet skin and switched over to the tech skin. For me, the flexibility of the Fusion is "okay" but not great. The donning and doffing is definitely a different technique; I find it to be rather laborious especially when surface temps are 80+ and I'm fighting to get the drycore and skin to line up properly.

Maybe my expectations aren't realistic, but I'd really love a suit that I can just slide into, put my arms and head through the seals and zip up. No struggle, no fuss. That's another reason I am apprehensive about the Everdry4 or Warmdry. Since they are tighter fitting suits, I am afraid I'll have to fight it like putting on a 7mm wetsuit.

Are my expectations really just unrealistic?

• Deep 6 Techniflex
    • Pro:
      • Some customization options
      • Looks like it’s a USIA suit or very similar for a great price
      • It’s Deep 6!
    • Con:
      • Not as customizable as the Seaskin
      • Most expensive of the bunch
      • No quick change seals (that I’m aware of)
actually we are already moving away from the USIA suit to the Makara. Made in Finland by Ursuits but to our specs

All made to measure, yes is on more expensive side. You can get si tech wrist neck rings for quick change.

Wow, that bad?
Worse actually. Had it sent back. It was replaced. Same problems. I don't know how I can sell it with a clear conscience.

So I have been doing a lot of research to try and find the right drysuit for me. I am currently diving a Whites Fusion Tech drysuit with SLT.

This is going to sound cynical so take it for what it is worth.

If you dive a Whites then ANYTHING is going to be more comfortable.

I've dived whites and I can say two things about it definitively:

1) it feels like getting into a cloth covered garbage bag
2) once you're in the water it feels (and I mean this) perfect. (provided, of course, that it fits).

Most of my experience is with BARE. I had nothing but BARE suits since the 1980's. I've never had a BARE suit that fit badly, I have never had one that felt "weird" (which is the only word I have to describe the whites) and I have never had a BARE suit that disappointed me in terms of expectations.

Others have, but I have not.

I recently bought (but have not yet received) a Mares suit. I did this because our repair company advised it (and AGAINST BARE) for recent quality reasons. I've had it on and it fits like a glove. I've never had a Mares suit but I'm looking forward to diving with it.......

R..

I had the bullet skin and switched over to the tech skin. For me, the flexibility of the Fusion is "okay" but not great. The donning and doffing is definitely a different technique; I find it to be rather laborious especially when surface temps are 80+ and I'm fighting to get the drycore and skin to line up properly.

Maybe my expectations aren't realistic, but I'd really love a suit that I can just slide into, put my arms and head through the seals and zip up. No struggle, no fuss. That's another reason I am apprehensive about the Everdry4 or Warmdry. Since they are tighter fitting suits, I am afraid I'll have to fight it like putting on a 7mm wetsuit.

Are my expectations really just unrealistic?
What is the issue with getting the dry core and the skin to line up properly? Do you remove your skin from the drycore between dive days? I have had my Whites for 3.5 years and dive 2 weekends a month and have never removed my skin from the drycore for any reason. I thoroughly wash it and hang it up to dry at the end of each day of diving. Once dry, I apply billiard talc to the seals (SLT system) and wax to the zipper and all good. In 3.5 years I've only had 1 wrist seal blow and that was my fault for not having clipped my finger nails and I replaced the seal in 45 seconds on the spot. I am in and out of my drysuit as quick as anyone else and I doubt you are going to find much greater flexibility in other drysuits. I use the Sport skin and you will not find a lighter drysuit. Hope you find what will work best for you! Keep us posted.

So I have been doing a lot of research to try and find the right drysuit for me. I am currently diving a Whites Fusion Tech drysuit with SLT. I am falling out of love with the suit. I don't feel like I have great flexibility and it's a chore to don and doff.

A little bit about my diving habits: 99% open water with the occasional cenote or wreck dive on a trip, those dives are usually done wet anyways. Most of my diving is done in a local freshwater lake. Water temps range rather wildly depending on time of year. Coldest gets to low 50s during the winter and it doesn't actually warm up until May or so. Surface temperatures, however, can be rather warm, up in to the 80s or more despite cooler water conditions.

• Seaskin Nova
  • Pro
    • Made to measure fitting
    • Highly customizable
    • Least expensive due to exchange rate and lack of VAT
  • Con:
    • International shipping if problems arise
    • Company is in the UK, not sure how well customer service would work with me in the USA

• Waterproof D9
    • Pro:
      • Extremely light weight
      • Breathable
      • Relatively inexpensive
    • Con:
      • Questions regarding durability
      • No quick change seals
      • No pockets

I went through this last Fall. I have had a Bare XCS2 Tech for almost 2 years. It's great in many ways, but it sucks for travel and it sucks when it's warm weather out.

I really looked at getting a Seaskin Nova. It looks like a great suit at a GREAT price. But, I couldn't find very much info here on SB. I ended up finding this UK diver forum: The Dive Forum There seem to be a lot more Seaskin customers on there and what I read made me think that maybe Seaskin used to be very reliable, but they seem to not be so reliable in the last few years. What I read there put me off of buying one. If I lived reasonably close to them, I would probably get one. But, with the expense of shipping across the Pond, it just seemed too risky.

Well, that and I found a great deal on a barely used Waterproof D9X right here in our Classifieds and ended up buying that. The D9X is lightweight enough that I would be just a little hesitant to buy the D9, since it's supposed to be even less sturdy - but most of my fun diving is wrecks where I would be wearing my drysuit. My D9X is off at Dive Right In Scuba right now getting the Si Tech Quick Neck system and Kubi permanent rings installed, so I will be able to use silicone seals and quickly change them when necessary.

If you're really just going to be using your drysuit for your local lake, the D9 probably is durable enough for you. My biggest concern would be using it in wrecks. And even then, the concern would only be if I were planning to really crawl around. I normally try to make a point - a little diving skill exercise for myself, if you will - of not touching ANYTHING when I do a swimthrough on a wreck. If you don't bump or rub against old rusty metal or sharp rocks or coral, then I would think just about any dry suit would be plenty sturdy. And the D9 sure is a nice price. And it's not like it's tissue paper...

If you were to order a D9 from DRiS, you could have them glue on pockets and change out the seals for quick change systems before they even send it to you. DRiS has a really nice package deal, if you do want them to swap all seals for quick change systems. $419 for everything.

Drysuit Repairs | Regulator Repairs | BCD Repairs - Dive Right in Scuba

And if you call Mike or message him on here (@Dive Right In Scuba), he might even make you a better deal, if you're buying a new suit and getting the work done all at once.

If you would want a stock size XL (XCS2 Tech) that is used, in mint condition, start watching the Classifieds in about a month. If my D9X comes back "all good", I'll be putting my XCS2 up for sale shortly after. :)

If you would want a stock size XL (XCS2 Tech) that is used, in mint condition, start watching the Classifieds in about a month. If my D9X comes back "all good", I'll be putting my XCS2 up for sale shortly after. :)
Thanks Stuart, I'm probably ML an though.

I have had a Bare XCS2 Tech for almost 2 years. It's great in many ways, but it sucks for travel and it sucks when it's warm weather out.
Tell me why the XCS2 is uncomfortable on deck in warm weather. Seems like a Fusion and XCS2 both with suitable undergarments for the same water temperature would feel equally warm out of water too. Is there something about the compressed neoprene that is warmer out of water?

FWIW: When my son had grown out of his then-current DS and was looking for a new used suit, we looked at a Fusion. Even with the good price we were offered, neither of us liked it. The donning seemed way too cumbersome. Even for someone used to the Everdry 4.

I know that the Fusion has it fans. To me, it seems like a love-or-hate type of suit. I hated it.

Back
Top Bottom