Resort vs. renting for solo traveler?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Den Laman seems to be listing its prices per room...

I have stayed and dived from Den Laman and I love them and their location. You have Bari Reef as your house reef. They list their prices based on the number of occupants, as well as room types: See here: Rates & Packages - Den Laman
Prices are per person, per room type- similar to everyone else on the the island. That's how they post their rates usually.

When I've looked at packages in the past (not Den Lamen), double occupancy was often presumed for dive & truck packages because the truck rental is a big part of the cost. They tend to assume a pair of people will share a rental truck. Even if they don't charge you much more for the room, bearing the full cost of the truck rental will raise your cost as a solo diver.

Richard.

Resorts and dive ops frequently offer "specials" that may off-set some of the costs of traveling solo. I suggest contacting a dive travel vendor like Maduro (link below). tell them what you are looking for and when you'd like to travel and then see what kind of a package they can put together for you.

Scuba Diving Packages – Exclusive Maduro Dive Packages

I don't have any experience with this organization, but SingleDivers.com organizes trips for divers without buddies. They are NOT a dating service, they will match you up with a same gender roommate to split the costs - or they claim to negotiate good rates if you prefer a private room. They are planning a Bonaire trip next March, see the links below:

https://www.singledivers.com/home/about

https://www.singledivers.com/home/trips

I know that the links below won't help with your Bonaire quest, but here are a couple of Caribbean destinations advertising specials for singles:

http://www.anthonyskey.com/promotions/promotion-buy-one-get-one-free-in-20171.htm
(Anthony's Key on Roatan's 2 for 1 special - I think it is the same as no single supplement)

http://www.sunsethouse.com/specials/single-diver-special.htm
(Sunset House on Grand Cayman, single divers special)

My 2 cents - My club is going there over the same time period as myself but I am staying at an apartment at Hamlet Oasis (Cliff dive site with DFB on site). They are staying at Cap Don's (I think).

The difference - for about the same cost I would get to share a room with another, share the kitchen, bath, and truck with 7 others. I would also be limited to what and when they decided to do whatever. I could pay double for the room and not keep someone awake with my snoring - yeah right.

At a slightly lesser price, I get an apartment to myself, and my own truck, and a better house reef. If they want to dive Hilma (yawn) I can go my own way. I can have my own schedule. I can dive where & when I want. Dive with them if it's a site I want to dive. Go elsewhere otherwise. Eat when & what I want. Socialize if I'm in the mood. Have peace & quiet otherwise. No contest. Apartment wins hands down.

That's one thing about resorts. If you are traveling solo you pay a premium in the "single suppliment". I simply am not going to pay that when I can get an apartment on the water at a good house reef for the resort's double occupancy price or less.

Buddy's has a big solo supplement - last time I looked over $500. I'm sure Habitat is similar. I think all that buys you is boat dives from the resort.

Den Laman seems like a good option, its a nicer, newer place on Bari Reef certainly the fishiest and arguably the best house reef. I'm pretty sure Dive Friends recently took over the dive concession there - they also have a shop next door at Sand Dollar - a drive-thru a little farther north at Cliff (only vertical wall shore divesite) two in town and one at Port Bonaire south of town - convenient for tank exchange. It's possible now that Dive Friends is keeping a boat at Den Laman's dock - the previous operator did. Otherwise you drove to their north Kralendijk or Port Bonaire - the Sand Dollar or Cliff sites have no dock.

The dock at Den Laman has wide stairs into the water so good if you're carrying your photo gear. Also it's worked out to be in a good area - Cocoa Beach Club just moved in south of there - just past it is Spice Beach at Eden Beach for something non-dive to do. Den Laman also has "Bits & Bites?" onsite for breakfast/lunch and Eddie's restaurant next door north at Sand Dollars pool. Since security is a concern, I believe only guests can access the stairs up to the rooms.

Plus there's a little plaza behind it that has a small market, bank atm and Between the Bites - a sandwich shop. Plus a couple other stores - maybe an ice cream shop.

Downtown is a long walk or short drive south and along the way you'll pass Fisheye Photo since you mentioned that.

Another often mentioned option is Hamlet Oasis - it's a smallish property in a residential condo area about a block from the water. There's some waterfront condos in front of it so afaik the access it to the north or south of them - north is the Dive Friends Cliff location, south is Don's (Habitat) - their dive operations, boats, dive dock are at the north end of the property - about a block walk south from Hamlet. I've seen at least one studio there on vrbo.com for $80 and up - Water Front Studio On Hamlet Oasis Resort B... - VRBO

Last edited:
One more Q: what are the amenities typically available at a dive-centric resort to rinse & store gear? Are there dedicated rinse tanks for phot & non-photo? Hangers for wetsuits? Asking because none of that is available at a rental of course.

Asking because none of that is available at a rental of course.

Actually that's not necessarily the case. There are rentals that are setup for divers. Where I've stayed the last couple of trips in Hamlet has a shaded outdoor drying rack w/hangers, two large plastic bins w/drains, a convenient garden hose, and a powder room with a hanging rack if you want to move gear inside for the night. Also with Hamlet, Dive Friends is right there with all the dive shop amenities and they'll move gear racks inside for overnight lockup. If you tell them you're night diving before they close up, I've had them put a fresh fill in their rinse tanks before they leave for the evening. I don't mean to be cheerleading for any specific place. I'm just relating my specific (N=1) experience. One of the nice things about Bonaire is that it's so dive centric you'll find amenities you otherwise wouldn't expect. :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom