Resort vs. renting for solo traveler?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is parking easy at Hamlet?
It's not going to be a problem....lol

Capture.JPG

I am almost positive the brown building with the gray roof is Dive Friends also if the apt. doesn't have rinse/storage facilities. But a lot of them do - it's pretty common. You almost don't go to Bonaire unless you're a diver or a Kitesurfer.

Each dive op is slightly different, but it is common to have 3 separate sets of rinse tanks at the dock: camera, wetsuit and regulators. Most day boats gave separate mask and camera rinse.

Divi has personal buddy team lockers down on the dock that are accessible 24 hours a day (along with tanks).

Shore dive sites generally have nothing....

Is parking easy at Hamlet?

I believe most units have assigned spots or are near a large communal lot.

Again I don't mean to be negative about the resort options. I've enjoyed them as well. Diving on Bonaire can be isolating especially if you're willing to hop in a truck and go it alone (part of it's charm :)). Sometimes it's nice to come back to a resort environment, grab a beer, watch the sunset, hang out with other divers, and swap stories of your day's adventures. :cheers:

Good to know, thank you. Is parking easy at Hamlet? They look like a great option.
@Kharon and @AdivingBel are steering you in the best direction for what it is you are looking for. Hamlet Oasis is a great option for the solo diver and I have often considered that this is where I would stay, if I were ever to go to Bonaire solo. You do have a great house reef on site (The Cliff) and an on site dive operation (Dive Friends), you get a swimming pool and all of the diver amenities. You are walking distance to a grocery store/supermarket, walking distance to Captain Don's for food (if desired) and a short drive or long walk to Between 2 Buns and Tasty Treat.

Maybe, but it's the only place we have been where we've been adamantly told (both verbally and in writing) by the car rental agencies "not to carry anything of value and to leave the car unlocked with the windows rolled down whenever it is parked and unoccupied."

I am not trying to start a debate, I am just trying to explain another possible reason for deciding to stay at a resort.
I was told the same thing on my trip diving in Hawaii...

Jim..

All - thank you so much for your help. This is an amazing community, thanks to peeps like you.

I've booked a 1br apartment at Hamlet. There were much cheaper options on VRBO or Airbnb, including some advertising rinse tanks, etc, but I decided that for my 1st time in Bonaire, this was the best compromise on price & convenience. The deals on Airbnb are stunning though for those willing to explore a bit (down to $40 a night for a separate spot).

All - thank you so much for your help. This is an amazing community, thanks to peeps like you.

I've booked a 1br apartment at Hamlet. There were much cheaper options on VRBO or Airbnb, including some advertising rinse tanks, etc, but I decided that for my 1st time in Bonaire, this was the best compromise on price & convenience. The deals on Airbnb are stunning though for those willing to explore a bit (down to $40 a night for a separate spot).
When are you going, by the way?

Good for you-- Enjoy and let us know how it went. I will be there 8/12 to 8/20- thus my reason for asking, in case our dates overlapped. I am actually staying in a villa adjacent to Hamlet Oasis. Perfect place for a smallish private group that wants to be on the water: Seafront Villa with Beautiful Tropical Gard... - VRBO

Have fun on your trip... If you are going to be renting with dive friends and what to solo dive... I have a 19cu pony I leave there.. So, Let me know if you'll be solo diving...

Jim..

Back
Top Bottom