Retiring my S50. Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sb_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently started diving again and have a Powershot S50 with the canon housing. Its pushing 10 years old and I'm looking to upgrade. I am in the market for another compact camera and like the canons I've had in the past. Either a G series or S110/100. I'm not sure about housings though. I am getting a GoPro Hero 3 Black for my birthday and plan on diving with both mounted on one tray. I've seena couple divers rocking that set up on the boat lately and it seems to work pretty well. Shoot wide angle video w/ the go pro and use the camera for close up macro shots. I was also checking out the Sola 1200 as a light source as well. Any thoughts?

For good still photography you still need a strobe. You can get "ok" stills with a light in the 1200 lumen range but not on par with a dedicated flash. There are so many options in the compact class here is a possible starting point: System Packages :: Compact Systems -

Most of these systems, trays and handles can be customized to fit the GoPro and different lighting systems. In addition for decent macro a Diopter will improve the macro shots of the compacts. Without a doubt it will help whomever you purchase from if you give them a budget. Lots of great options, cameras to look at would be the: Sony RX100, Canon S100 or S110, Canon G15, Panasonic LX7 or Olympus XZ2.

I recently started diving again and have a Powershot S50 with the canon housing. Its pushing 10 years old and I'm looking to upgrade. I am in the market for another compact camera and like the canons I've had in the past. Either a G series or S110/100. I'm not sure about housings though. I am getting a GoPro Hero 3 Black for my birthday and plan on diving with both mounted on one tray. I've seena couple divers rocking that set up on the boat lately and it seems to work pretty well. Shoot wide angle video w/ the go pro and use the camera for close up macro shots. I was also checking out the Sola 1200 as a light source as well. Any thoughts?

I just retired my S60 with the canon housing and bought an S100 with the canon housing. So far so good and it's very obvious I've switched cameras, a huge improvement in picture quality. I would prefer a camera that did TTL in manual mode but I would need different strobes. When you make the jump make sure you look at the complete setup. Old strobes just don't have the flexibility to go with the new camera technology. So suddenly a camera upgrade becomes a complete upgrade. $$$

Back
Top Bottom