"Returning" Diver from North Alabama.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattCrunk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I just found and joined this forum a couple weeks ago. I'm not a new diver, but am just getting back into it after about a 15 year absence from the sport.

I was originally PADI certified back in 1982, at age 16, and dove actively throughout my late teens and twenties. Did a lot of freshwater diving in the Tennessee River, and local quarrys. My local dive shop offered a free weekly night dive so I did lot of night diving. Made a few dive trips to Florida. Did some diving in BVI, the Yucatan, and west coast of Mexico. But lacking a good dive partner and money for a lot of dive travel, I eventually shifted my interests elsewhere.

Well, my wife of 10 years has recently taken a notion that she wants to learn to dive. I have not actively dove since we've been together, so that's got me all fired up to get wet again. Having been away from the sport for so long, I plan to go through the course with her as a refresher for myself.

Then low and behold I found ScubaBoard, and especially the Vintage Equipment Diving section. That got me REAL excited. I still have all my original gear from the early 80's, which by definition is almost vintage. But growing up in the late 60's and 70's, it was "frogman" G.I Joe and the Bond films that formed my notion of how a scuba diver should look. IMHO you don't get any cooler than double hose regs and shiny black wetsuits. To find that there is a growing community of divers using this old stuff again for more than just a wallhanger is an exciting prospect.

After intently reading over the Vintage forums for a few days, I started amassing my own collection of vintage gear. So far I have acquired a US Divers AquaMaster Regulator, Steel 72 tank, backpack, tri-view mask (NOS), and horsecollar BC (just like the one I originally learned to dive with). My old rocket fins and Nordic dive knife already qualify as vintage so I'm good there. As soon as I get this stuff serviced and tested, I'm ready to go.

welcome aboard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom