Review Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Previous visits we stayed at a lovely in town B&B Villa Escondida but they were booked solid for this trip so we went through Jeanie at Tres Pelicanos and booked a room at Casa Mexicana. There was good and bad but good enough that we have already booked for April. We were in a city view room, 420. That is the last room on the fourth floor facing south. The view was mostly rooftops but the cruise pier/ships and a small bit of ocean was visible. Everything was very clean and you would see the staff working constantly to keep it so.

2E630F47-F8A8-49F3-B5E9-7B53661924C4.jpeg

A band is placed around your wrist at check in for identification at the breakfast buffet. I find those annoying so I carefully peeled it apart and reattached it larger so I could slid on and off as needed.

There was some noise from the street, I think it was a trash truck that rounded early am and a bit of hallway echo type noise, mostly doors closing so we tried to be careful of that. There was an adjoining room with thin doors between but we heard no noises from it. I could see it as a potential problem though. As other threads have noted there is a barking dog each morning but we only heard him while we were at the breakfast buffet. There was a phone in the room but did not use. Not a lot of outlets so if you need a lot of charging stations, which we do, I recommend bringing a multi plug extension cord.

No ceiling fan but the ac worked well. Daily maid with new towels but washcloths were few and far between. Hangers attached to rod but no convenient way to hang stuff on balcony anyway. There were plastic chairs to drap gear over but would have liked a drying rack. I also plan to take a few plastic hangers and some clothes pins next trip. May look for a cheap drying rack at Mega as well.

The tap water is purified but we still used bottled water for drinking. There is a water dispenser in the lobby with glasses but they remove it each afternoon/evening. Coffee there as well in am but removed late morning. We read you could request a coffee maker for the room but we were not able to get one. No reason given. The room does have a small fridge. Small closet with safe. Wall unit with TV and two large drawers and cabinet for storage. Night stands with two small drawers. Iron, board and hairdryer. Ice bucket provided with ice available at request from front desk.

Internet was hit or miss. Worked well first few days then mostly down for 2 days. On and off after that. The lobby area was very nice with lots of comfortable sitting. We spent several evenings there. Did not use the pool. There is a small bar there for drinks and coffee but again we did not order anything.

We had early am dives so was up and at the breakfast bar a few minutes before 7 most days. The prepared food as adequate but nothing special. The near legendary bacon was oddly absent all but two of our days and it was ok but did not compare to my crispy bacon at home. :wink: The made to order was very good. Thank you Santa. Loved the waffles! Eric said the omelettes were good. They will do eggs any way you order. Also pancakes and french toast upon request. The fresh fruit was good. Yogurts and cereals. NutriBullet and stuff for smoothies provided. Coffee pot, cream and sugar on each table.

Check out was noon and we had a later flight. The hotel stored our bags until we were ready to head to the airport and the porter even wheeled it to the street and got the cab for us. Nice!

Attachments

• D9669476-5010-4DB7-90E0-FECB55D21FE8.jpeg
    D9669476-5010-4DB7-90E0-FECB55D21FE8.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 130
  • F151C922-5D6E-45E5-9BD4-39032C80A778.jpeg
    F151C922-5D6E-45E5-9BD4-39032C80A778.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 0C9B96FE-EAE5-4BCA-8120-2751E54F894C.jpeg
    0C9B96FE-EAE5-4BCA-8120-2751E54F894C.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Excellent and detailed review of things important to divers!
Previous visits we stayed at a lovely in town B&B Villa Escondida but they were booked solid for this trip so we went through Jeanie at Tres Pelicanos and booked a room at Casa Mexicana. There was good and bad but good enough that we have already booked for April. We were in a city view room, 420. That is the last room on the fourth floor facing south. The view was mostly rooftops but the cruise pier/ships and a small bit of ocean was visible. Everything was very clean and you would see the staff working constantly to keep it so.

View attachment 449041

There was some noise from the street, I think it was a trash truck that rounded early am and a bit of hallway echo type noise, mostly doors closing so we tried to be careful of that. There was an adjoining room with thin doors between but we heard no noises from it. I could see it as a potential problem though. As other threads have noted there is a barking dog each morning but we only heard him while we were at the breakfast buffet. There was a phone in the room but did not use. Not a lot of outlets so if you need a lot of charging stations, which we do, I recommend bringing a multi plug extension cord.

No ceiling fan but the ac worked well. Daily maid with new towels but washcloths were few and far between. Hangers attached to rod but no convenient way to hang stuff on balcony anyway. There were plastic chairs to drap gear over but would have liked a drying rack. I also plan to take a few plastic hangers and some clothes pins next trip. May look for a cheap drying rack at Mega as well.

The tap water is purified but we still used bottled water for drinking. There is a water dispenser in the lobby with glasses but they remove it each afternoon/evening. Coffee there as well in am but removed late morning. We read you could request a coffee maker for the room but we were not able to get one. No reason given. The room does have a small fridge. Small closet with safe. Wall unit with TV and two large drawers and cabinet for storage. Night stands with two small drawers. Iron, board and hairdryer. Ice bucket provided with ice available at request from front desk.

Internet was hit or miss. Worked well first few days then mostly down for 2 days. On and off after that. The lobby area was very nice with lots of comfortable sitting. We spent several evenings there. Did not use the pool. There is a small bar there for drinks and coffee but again we did not order anything.

We had early am dives so was up and at the breakfast bar a few minutes before 7 most days. The prepared food as adequate but nothing special. The near legendary bacon was oddly absent all but two of our days and it was ok but did not compare to my crispy bacon at home. :wink: The made to order was very good. Thank you Santa. Loved the waffles! Eric said the omelettes were good. They will do eggs any way you order. Also pancakes and french toast upon request. The fresh fruit was good. Yogurts and cereals. NutriBullet and stuff for smoothies provided.

Check out was noon and we had a later flight. The hotel stored our bags until we were ready to head to the airport and the porter even wheeled it to the street and got the cab for us. Nice!

Thanks for that report Lisa!

Shhh... Keep this on the down low, I don't want my new favorite place in Cozumel to get overrun. Casa Mexicana's sister hotel -- "Suites Colonial" is one of the best values on the island. You get the same wonderful breakfast at Casa Mexicana included with your rate, but that rate is less than 1/2 of Casa Mexicana and the quietest place ever. I can't believe I am going so public with this. Here is my Trip Advisor report: Clean, comfortable and quiet - Review of Suites Colonial, Cozumel, Mexico - TripAdvisor

Also check the report one below mine-- posted by my dive buddy on this trip.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. I figure I'll probably need to take advantage of a similar arrangement on a last minute trip sometime in the future. 'Til then, there's a butt shaped impression in the corner of a cool pool with my name on it and a 'lil dog running around with my shoe in it's mouth (the little monkey :)).

What did your stay work out to per night (assuming 2 people in the room)?

What did your stay work out to per night (assuming 2 people in the room)?
It was priced as a package but with a little math it looks like 93 a night including tax

I’ve stayed at the Casa Mexicana many times over the last 10 years and don’t think the tap water is for drinking. Years back they had a stickers on the sinks that said the water was purified but when we inquired further everyone agreed you should not drink that water.

Previous visits we stayed at a lovely in town B&B Villa Escondida but they were booked solid for this trip so we went through Jeanie at Tres Pelicanos and booked a room at Casa Mexicana.

I've drank out of the tap at CM with no ill effects. I normally wouldn't, but sometimes my thought process isn't up to par after midnight. :cheers:

Bottled water is easily obtained on Cozumel and whether or not to drink tap water when I am there on vacation is a matter of risk management. Vacation time is very valuable, so if I get sick for a couple of days there it is very different when compared to having it happen to me here at home. So no, I don't drink the tap water on Cozumel. If I lived there I might look at it differently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom