Review of Deep 6 Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the privilege of diving with @CAPTAIN SINBAD a few weeks ago. Was my 1st Deep 6 suit I've seen in person. It looks like it has held up well. I'm sure he'll chime in, but to me it looked like a great suit.

I did notice a brass zipper on the front.. not sure if that's standard or you get a choice. I know most are opting for plastic YKK these days.

What would be the advantage of the plastic zipper? No need for lube? I've always preferred metal zippers over plastic since I was a young private in the Army. Learned real quick that the plastic zippers on the fart sacks jammed and broke much more readily than those with the brass zippers. Same sleeping bags, only difference was the zippers.

Did a couple days of diving this weekend and one had a Scubapro neoprene drysuit, Brass zipper across the back I would help him with. When it was lined up (suit "shrunk" on him over the years :wink:) it moved easily enough, but when pulled slightly apart it was a hard stop.

What would be the advantage of the plastic zipper? No need for lube? I've always preferred metal zippers over plastic since I was a young private in the Army. Learned real quick that the plastic zippers on the fart sacks jammed and broke much more readily than those with the brass zippers. Same sleeping bags, only difference was the zippers.

Did a couple days of diving this weekend and one had a Scubapro neoprene drysuit, Brass zipper across the back I would help him with. When it was lined up (suit "shrunk" on him over the years :wink:) it moved easily enough, but when pulled slightly apart it was a hard stop.

I think it depends.. I recently purchased a front zip and was told by multiple people at different manufacturers and different dive shop owners go with plastic. Easier to use and maintain. Gets some type of lubricant applied at the docking points and cleaned with a toothbrush periodically (although I've never heard of anyone around me actually cleaning that way).

On the other hand those same people when I asked about fixing my brass back zip neoprene suit said to stick with brass. All 3 respected places pretty much said they see less issue with brass on a back zip.

Plastic got a bad name a few years ago on suits when it started delaminating and leaked prematurely (this was before my time diving, just what I read when looking into zippers). All has since been worked out as long as you maintain. A european suit fixer (not sure what title to call him) has told me that he likes any of the 3 different zippers (ti zip plastic, YKK plastic, or YKK BDM brass) .. just need not take care of them right and they all get the about the same amount of dives. He also recommended sticking with brass on rear entry suits.

A properly lubed plastic zipper opens/closes a lot more easily than a properly lubed brass zipper.

Plastic zippers are a little less bulky/more flexible.

I'm not sure what the issue is that makes brass zippers preferred for back zip applications. I mean, I presume they are more prone to break, but I don't know why that is when they seem to be just as reliable for front zip suits.

The only way I would buy a suit with a brass zipper is if plastic weren’t an option.

the back zip in brass is, I assume, preferred because bending can do some pulling that may not be good on plastic, in a front zip situation the added flexibility is a plus.

Sorry late to the party but yes the Deep 6 Makara suit has taken a lot of beating in the quarries and the oceans and is still sturdy and reliable. A few things to note:

The suit I am diving presently does not have any kevlar overlays. Those developed problems so Chris at Deep 6 was kind enough to send me a totally new suit without the kevlar overlays and that has performed very well. The plastic zipper broke after less than 50 or so dives. It was smoother but not very reliable and after that, my personal preference has been to stay away from plastic, specially if you have only one suit. If you have two, then I can take the risk.

Other than that, Deep 6 Makara is a very high end suit at a reasonable price.

I mean, I presume they are more prone to break, but I don't know why that is when they seem to be just as reliable for front zip suits.

I asked Alien something or another that posts all those great videos on drysuit, the guys at DRiS, and another gentlemen that has posted videos on zippers from Australia and all stated they just had less issues with brass on backzip, but none could give a reason why that is.

Now obviously a plastic zip can be installed on a backzip, but they all suggested against it and afaik Seaskin doesn't offer backzip in plastic.

I wish I had better answers.. but between all of them independently saying the same thing I've opted to replace my brass with brass (on the backzip suit).

All 3 were on board with plastic for front zip no problem and highly suggested it.

Now obviously a plastic zip can be installed on a backzip, but they all suggested against it and afaik Seaskin doesn't offer backzip in plastic
One reason I’ve heard is that plastic zips don’t perform well in locations with high separating force, like backzips. On a front zip the force would be lengthwise and not pulling the zipper apart.

Now obviously a plastic zip can be installed on a backzip, but they all suggested against it and afaik Seaskin doesn't offer backzip in plastic.

I believe you are correct on that. I don't understand why they don't have their neoprene suit with a front (plastic) zip option. I had a Bare XCS2 Tech that was neoprene with a "normal" diagonal plastic front zipper and it was fine. I believe the guy I sold it to is still diving it. No idea if he has replaced the zipper, though. Probably. He dives a lot and that suit would be something like 7 years old now.

I believe you are correct on that. I don't understand why they don't have their neoprene suit with a front (plastic) zip option. I had a Bare XCS2 Tech that was neoprene with a "normal" diagonal plastic front zipper and it was fine. I believe the guy I sold it to is still diving it. No idea if he has replaced the zipper, though. Probably. He dives a lot and that suit would be something like 7 years old now.
I don't know. What I do know is that I never want to own a suit that is back zip again, lol..

I think I read somewhere that Seaskin was working on a front zip neo suit but haven't been happy with the outcome whatever that means. I think I read it on here or maybe in their facts page?

edit; direct from their page;

Why don’t you fit plastic dry zips into the Ultra drysuits?
We now offer the fitting of YKK plastic dryzips into our Nova membrane diving drysuit and Delta surface drysuit. Some people prefer their lighter weight, easy closing and greater flexibility. They accept that they may not be as reliable at keeping the water out. On back zip neoprene suits any advantages they have are not nearly as great due to the position of the zip so we do not feel at this stage of their technical development that it is wise to fit them in our neoprene suits.

I don't know. What I do know is that I never want to own a suit that is back zip again, lol..

I think I read somewhere that Seaskin was working on a front zip neo suit but haven't been happy with the outcome whatever that means. I think I read it on here or maybe in their facts page?

edit; direct from their page;

Why don’t you fit plastic dry zips into the Ultra drysuits?
We now offer the fitting of YKK plastic dryzips into our Nova membrane diving drysuit and Delta surface drysuit. Some people prefer their lighter weight, easy closing and greater flexibility. They accept that they may not be as reliable at keeping the water out. On back zip neoprene suits any advantages they have are not nearly as great due to the position of the zip so we do not feel at this stage of their technical development that it is wise to fit them in our neoprene suits.

You may have read a post from me from a while back. I asked them about a front zip neo suit and they said they had tried it and were not happy with it (or something like that).

Back
Top Bottom