Review of my "new" SP "Balanced Adjustable" R156 second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any chance that this forum could get back to "vintage" discussion, aka, pre-1980 or whatever?

I suppose this thread could be moved. But you might want to change the name "Vintage" to "Double Hose" to end the ambiguity.

Any chance that this forum could get back to "vintage" discussion, aka, pre-1980 or whatever?

My apologies for dragging the forum off topic- I guess I still associate these "older" SP regs with the best of what was around when I started diving in the mid 70's. At the time I had an "old" USD Royal Aquamaster double hose and a shiny new USD aquarius.
Cheers
RR

I am thinking about making the whole set Scubapro instead of my usual mix of bits and pieces. For ease of servicing more than anything else.
What do you think between the MK17 and Mk25?
Don't want to spark a piston vs diaphragm debate but I like would probably go for the MK17 if I hadn't read about the swing in IP that occurs from full to low tank pressure?

"
Considering that the 109 came out in 1967... I say that it is very definitely vintage."

SP 109 = 1967, not an issue. But MK 17 or MK 25, pre-1980??? Maybe SB is going quasi-vintage also.

Reefrat, welcome to the 109/156 club. Conv, has and is a great help with 109/156 and other regs as are so many others on SB. I really think the DIY service section is the best part of SB.

I now have 3 109s, two that I have installed s-wing poppets with new style demand levers and one with the blue balanced poppet. They all breath great.

I got rid of my MK25 and all my newer regs and now have 3 MK5s. I love the simplicity of the MK5 and think it breaths almost as good as my MK25 did.

I recently picked up a 108 to use as my octo, so now one of my rigs is a MK5/109(really a 156)/108.

Anyway, have fun going old school.

Nice thread and don't pay any attention to the grumpy pre-1980-only comments. If Bryan is going to the trouble of making reproduction parts for these regs, they belong on a vintage forum. But along that line, I think you should forget about the MK25 or MK17 and do as triggerman has done. Get couv to help you set up a MK5. Then you'll have a real classic SP set. Get a 108 (or another 109) for your alternate, maybe even one with an orange exhaust tee.

When I travel with mine I just use a sock for scratch protection. This has the added benefit of helping me to remember to pack socks for the trip.

Hello ReefRat,

Thank you for your very kind words. I'm very happy to hear your BA performed well.

The wet breathing could be any of a few things. But let's start with the easiest to check and work our way from there. The mouthpiece: I realize I'm the one who handed you that "mold your own bite" mouthpiece, but make sure it's not leaking. Cinching the tie wrap too tight can result in a distorted seal. Another thing about a custom mouthpiece is they tend to be longer and hold the regulator further away from the mouth than usual. This is not a problem in most postures, but as you were having issues while your head was tilted, perhaps extra torque was causing a small leak between the mouthpiece and your lips.

A little more difficult to diagnose, but more likely is the exhaust diaphragm. If I remember correctly, you have the older style tee. That will make this next step easier. Remove the tee, and if you don't see anything obviously wrong like a tear, fold or foreign object holding it open try this: (when no one is looking) make a seal with your mouth around the exhaust flange and attempt to blow air past the exhaust diaphragm into the case. If you can blow into the case, then you have a bad exhaust diaphragm or perhaps a defect in the case.

If the above does not isolate the problem, then the main diaphragm may be leaking. Put the palm of your hand over the still uncovered exhaust flange and make a seal to eliminate the exhaust diaphragm. Still leaking? Then most likely there is something wrong with the diaphragm either through a defect, or the perhaps it is slightly misaligned.

Two remote possibilities are the adjustment knob seal and a defect in the case.

One small point for clarity. Lever height is very important in these regulators. Unfortunately, unless one has a new style lever (I think ReefRat's does) then having one of Herman's ultra-cool http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do...apro-lever-height-adjustment-tool-review.html you can only guesstimate that it is correct or compensate by using the orifice adjustment-which can lead to problems is you're not careful. Click the link for the long, boring explanation.

The bastard who sold you this regulator should have checked all that-I would take it back to him and get my money back if I were you. :)

Enjoy your new regulator, don't worry about the "character" marks you put on it-that's what makes it unique to the owner. PM me if you haven’t resolved the leak or just post it here and one of the other Usual Suspects might have an idea I'm missing.

Again, thank you.

Couv

p.s. Halo has a good point. A MK 5 or MK 10 might be just the companion you need for that BA. I just so happen to know someone who has some for sale.

The mouthpiece: I realize I'm the one who handed you that "mold your own bite" mouthpiece, but make sure it's not leaking. Cinching the tie wrap too tight can result in a distorted seal. Another thing about a custom mouthpiece is they tend to be longer and hold the regulator further away from the mouth than usual. This is not a problem in most postures, but as you were having issues while your head was tilted, perhaps extra torque was causing a small leak between the mouthpiece and your lips..

I had some trouble getting a Seacure mouthpiece to seal on a 109 that was causing wet breathing. I added an o-ring (019 I think) to the lip of the metal connector and all is well. The zip tie snugs it up tight. But you do have to be careful that it stays in place as you install the mouthpiece.

I've been away for a few days and didn't see all these responses until this morning, thank you all!
The Seacure mouthpiece seems to be a good tight fit and I would be surprised if it was leaking but I have certainly had that problem with other regs and will take a close look at it. Also will pull the exhaust tee in the next few days and check out the function as per Couv's post.
Re the first stage I will probably not go "vintage" on that, although I am sure that the MK5 is a very solid unit!
Cheers
RR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom