Review of the Panasonic Lumix TS1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

conradb212

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
While we did most of the underwater shooting during an August liveaboard trip on the Turks & Caicos Explorer II with our big Olympus-E620/PT-E06 rig, we also took some other underwater cameras with (Canon D10, Canon G10 with housing, LiquidImage VideoMask 320), including a Panasonic TS1. I took it with because we hoped we'd also get the accompanying DMW-MCFT1 marine case, but it wasn't available yet. The Lumix TS1 has a depth rating of just ten feet, so we could really only use it for snorkeling and poke around and under the boat.

That said, I am surprised how much better Panasonic cameras have gotten. Picture quality is terriffic, the zoom is a nice 28-128mm equivalent that starts wide, the 2.7-inch LCD is very bright, and the camera can even do very good 1280x720 720p video.

On the not-so-great side, icons and labels are tiny and very hard to read underwater and the camera is expensive (US$399 list). It's also not quite as tough as the Olympus Tough models (though sometimes I'd swear they are made by the same OEM).

Anyway, if you want to see my full review of the Panasonic TS1, with a bunch of pictures, it's here. It's a fun, handy, quality camera to take along on a trip, and I can't wait to get the deepwater case.

the icons are see thru, which makes it super duper hard to read, once I memorized all the buttons it was a lot easier... I love mine!

5 years ago I decided that I will do UW photos only with naked compact UW P&S cameras and with mask, fins and snorkel only, without any additional light source and without lead.

From 2005 I had all Pentax OPTIO W cameras, 2 Olympus SW and at the moment the best of all P&S UW cameras, Panasonic DMC-FT1.

I was shooting photos on sites such as: Red Sea, Maldives, Indonesia and Dominican Republic. Due to the limitations of the cameras all photos (and movies) are taken at depths up to 8 meters (with Ikelite silicone lube 0184.1).

Some examples from Sharm el Sheikh (Panasonic DMC-FT1 /TS1/ Nabq, oct.2009):
- public.fotki.com/primoz/sharm-el-sheikh-03-/
- youtube.com/user/PrimozP#grid/user/0B5A9CB442CE9148

My (mostly underwater) photos and videos made with
compact UW cameras (Pentax Wxx & Panasonic FT1):
- public.fotki.com/Primoz/
- youtube.com/user/PrimozP

Last edited:
Anyone had a chance to check out the TS-2? Also, how comfortable are you in taking a 10m camera below 33 fsw? Obvously, there must be some safety margin in the design. Most engineers use a safety factor of 2 if life is not at stake.

I have already ordered this new, FT2 (TS2) UW camera. But delivery (in my country) is scheduled only in April 2010.

I haven't checked out the TS-2, but we'll do a full review on it as soon as we get one.

Judging by what 33-foot rated Olympus cameras can do, you can probably take the TS-2 deeper as well. We've had the Olympus 770SW down to 85 feet without problem on several occasions, and the Olympus 1030SW to 60 or so. The limiting factor usually is that the water pressure pushes in the buttons so you can no longer operate the camera. At times you also see a rectangular impression in the center of the LCD as the layers are pressed against each other (it'll go away as soon as you ascend). I've also had a Liquid Image video mask 310 (the one rated at 33 feet) down to 100, without any problems, so yes, there usually is a good safety factor. The only time I flooded one of these cameras was when I forgot that I had the Olympus 770SW with me in Lake Tahoe and it flooded at 95 feet.

Thanks for the info. We routinely took a Vivtar 6200W down to 80fsw and it was OK for years until I put the O ring (really a rectangular ring) in backwards! Only a few drops but that was enough to wreak havoc with the circuit board.

i will be diving with a friend of mine this sunday and his brand new ts-1.
ill post some comments here after.
hopefully i can grad a few pics and vids to show you guys too.
i myself have a panny zs3 and i must say that their giving very good value for money in the p$s dept.

i will be diving with a friend of mine this sunday and his brand new ts-1.
ill post some comments here after.
hopefully i can grad a few pics and vids to show you guys too.
i myself have a panny zs3 and i must say that their giving very good value for money in the p$s dept.

TS1 in underwater housing? I hope! Because naked TS1 is not suitable for (scuba) diving - it is OK for snorkeling and limited freediving (up to 8 meters & up to 90 seconds).

yes i believe in an u/w housing

Back
Top Bottom