Revised PADI DM vs NAUI DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what DCBC says, a NAUI DM is qualified to do the same as a PADI DM.

Does Randytay want to know which organisation will make him a better DM? The answer is neither - that's up to him and his attitude.

I would agree Dillo

I have just completed my DM with PADI and looking at the NAUI requirements I don't see any real significant difference, and certainly no difference in what I can do as a DM with PADI. There was a section on the business of diving but there was no test requirement for that. There is a reason why PADI is successful, it has a good program.

"get competent before further training"

Wouldn't further training help work toward competency?

"get competent before further training"

Wouldn't further training help work toward competency?

Not always. There's no point performing more advanced skills when the ones they're based on aren't of a high standard.

String, I am glad you agree.

When I first started diving just over two years ago I looked at the OW cert as similiar to getting my learner's permit to drive a car. When I got that the first thing I did was sign up for some driver training because being a teenager doing this could be difficult with a parent, a professional trainer would help me quickly master what I needed to know to be a safe driver and it was supported by the stats behind it.

I would recommend that any new diver discuss with their instructor what sort of things they should be doing to get the most out of the time and money they have put into the sport so far if they wish to continue. Its just not training as well, it could be come out to the drop in dive at the shop, join this local club, but for training after doing a proper OW cert there is advanced open water and bouyancy that are ideal for the new diver. Certainly not thinking about trimix rebreather diving with decompression penetrating wrecks so I think I completely understand the waiting till skills are to a point before proceeding with some training...

I don't think it is a good idea to say to people coming into this sport that after OW they need to go out on their own and then come back to training after they learned a bunch of bad habits, realized they aren't right, then unlearn those habits with the right ones before they can get good coaching. When people say you have to get compentent before you can consider further training, that is what I see. It is an elitist attitude intended to discourage and it is not a good one.

As a wrap up to this topic, I have decided to do the PADI DM... BUT I am also doing the NAUI MSD concurrently so that way I don't miss the more "comprehensive education" of NAUI while being a part of the "more successful" agency. :wink:

Of course the above is also being undertaken while I am still doing a Essentials course with UTD. IMHO, there is no such thing as too much training :D

This, like many other topics comparing organizations is more of an act in futility as it always comes down to the instructor and shops adherence to the rules. I am sure I could find a NAUI instructor to go through the motions just like I could find an SSI or PADI one and visa-versa.

Jim had a different experience with his PADI DM than other posters and this is sort of like comparing a Ford to a Chevy or Mitsubishi to Honda. Everyone has their preference and different experiences. This whole subject of comparing is subjective at best regardless of the "written" standards/requirements because each shop and instructor has their own spin on how it should be done.

This comparison has been debatable forever in all different areas such as comparing home inspector organizations, comparing union shops, medical certification agencies and so on and so on. It all comes down to the individual's decision to go where they feel the most comfortable and hope that they have an instructor that has integrity. Every time I see these comparisons pop up I realize that there is not a single answer that is right, only opinions.

You can write all of the standards you want but if they are not followed by the instructors, all bets are off and we will continue to have differences of opinion.

Just my humble opinion.

Back
Top Bottom