RFC: second stage seats substitutes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks SS, I'll add these to the Excel & PDF files.

You're right: it's rubber. As long as the diameter of the seat is reasonably larger than the cavity it goes into, it works. Ex.: Scubapro original: cavity: .240", seat: .278", a ratio of 1.16.

However, I'm surprised by the large discrepancy with the Seapro and the Nemrod: a terrific range of adjustment there.

Last edited:
Nothing to add, just wanted to say thanks again for keeping this great info coming, and give the tread an iddy biddy :bump:

Best wishes.

Based on the kit picture and some discussion with folks who use HOG/Edge, I suspect this 2nd stage kit includes a LP seat that can be used in place of the Scubapro seat in their balanced barrel poppet regs. Just another option if your Scubapro guy will not sell parts.

Rebuild Kits Piranha Dive Manufacturing

Yep, it looks quite likely; plus, it'll apply to all of the ODS oem'ed gear. If only we knew the size of at least 1 of the o-rings in the pic, we could reverse-engineer it to get some quantitative data. Unless we try the easy way:

Calling all owners of HOG/Edge gear: anyone cares to measure the seat? Thanks.

Gentle Board, here's the last piece of the puzzle... For now.

But first thing first: awap is RIGHT: the Scubapro/Trident/Apeks seats are the same, for all practical purpose.

But I had to prove it, so I raided the dive club across the street. Thanks to Solti, the owner, who let me borrow an Apeks octo for an autopsy. Here's what gives:

Apeks AP2034
  • Crown diameter: 7.05 mm / .278"
  • Crown thickness: .95 mm / .037"
  • Stem diameter: 3.95 mm / .156"
  • Total lenght: 5.95 mm / .234"
Trident A148
  • Crown diameter: 7.00 mm / .276"
  • Crown thickness: 1.03 mm / .051"
  • Stem diameter: 3.95 mm / .156"
  • Total lenght: 6.50 mm / .256"
And yes, I tried the Trident seat in the Apeks poppet ("shuttle valve") for fit, and it's perfect.

Attachments

• 2nd Stage Seat All V2.xls
    65.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 2nd Stage Seat All V2.pdf
    242.8 KB · Views: 264
Calling all owners of HOG/Edge gear: anyone cares to measure the seat? Thanks.

One of my buddies just ordered a HOG. I'll take it apart when it arrives.

One of my buddies just ordered a HOG. I'll take it apart when it arrives.

Thanks, but be careful and observe the procedure of the manual.

I don't know about the HOG's, but the Apeks's are a LOT less straightforward than the SP's. I've learned a lesson or 2 dissecting the octo above: for example, the barrel is positioned by 2 plastic "bumps" in the case; the one I had was rough handled (it's club gear), the barrel rotated a bit, forced its way into the plastic and got stuck there. Also, the adjustment screw is pure plastic, and there's a pin hidden inside that keeps it from falling off; but there's a chance the screw breaks if you unscrew it with the pin in place. All in all, I'm disappointed by the "pratical engineering" of Apeks.

Here's (tentatively) the Aqualung 2nd stage seats chart, thanks to herman for the input.

I'm not sure if the 106738 are the same as the 108510.

[table 0 0 0 0]Model.............|Part #............|3rd Party...|3rd Part #..|Home Made..|Type.|
Air Source|15027||||Puck|
Aquarius|108510|Trident|AA88/A119|awap|Puck|
Artic|106738|Trident?|AA88?|awap?|Puck|
Artic (French)|116611|Trident?|AA88?|awap?|Puck|
Calypso|106738|Trident?|AA88?|awap?|Puck|
Conshelf (all)|108510|Trident|AA88/A119|awap|Puck|
DA Aquamaster|108510|Trident|AA88/A119|awap|Puck|
Glacia|106738|Trident?|AA88?|awap?|Puck|
Impulse|106738|Trident?|AA88?|awap?|Puck|
Kronos|AP2034||||Mushroom|
Legend|AP2034||||Mushroom|
LPO|1067-38|Trident?|AA88?|awap?|Puck|
Micra|1085-10|Trident|AA88/A119|awap|Puck|
Mistral|106738|Trident?|AA88?|awap?|Puck|
Pioneer|108510|Trident|AA88/A119|awap|Puck|
SE3|108510|Trident|AA88/A119|awap|Puck|
SEA 4|108510|Trident|AA88/A119|awap|Puck|
XLC|1067-38|Trident?|AA88?|awap?|Puck|
[/table]
:D

I have OEM rebuild kits with both of these AL seats so I checked them out. It looks like the 108510 is black and is punch made, and the 106738 is gray and molded. They are the same in all dimensions. The material seems very similar in hardness as well, maybe the grey one is a bit softer but I would feel comfortable using either in place of the other and with awaping them both.
100_3163.jpg

~Chris

Last edited:
... be careful and observe the procedure of the manual..../QUOTE]

:idk: Why? It's his buddy's, not one of his own. :D I say experiment away!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom