RFC: second stage seats substitutes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... be careful and observe the procedure of the manual..../QUOTE]

:idk: Why? It's his buddy's, not one of his own. :D I say experiment away!

:rofl3:

"The experiment was a success!! Sadly, the subject expired.... Igor, send in the next test subject!!"

:D

Best wishes.

Sorry for the silliness, it was time to :bump: this great thread again :wink:

I have used the homemade LP seats based on the information made available by awap in all of the Sherwoods that I have acquired through E-bay. They work without a hitch. Of course you could probably use chewed bubble gum in a Sherwood and achieve the same result :D

We compromised and I measured the HOG D1 rebuild kit instead.

The second stage had: -010, -011, -016x2m -019 and two tiny guys, probably for the poppet, similar to an -003 but thinner 0.8mm x 4.2mm.
The seat had a face diameter of around 6.7mm and a width of 1.3mm. The length of the whole guy was 6.8mm and the narrower section was 4.0mm diameter.

First stage kit had: -112, -024, -019, -013, -012x2, -011x5, -006.
The filter was 11.0mm x 11.7mm, and the seat was 21.5mm long with a 3.6mm stem and a 9.8mm face. The diaphragm was 38.6mm x 2.8mm thick.

Hope some of that's helpful. Naturally, my measurements could be a bit off.

Cool, yet another near-perfect match for the Trident A148:

[table 0 0 0 0]........................|HOG mm.....|HOG in........|Trident mm..|Trident in..|
Crown diameter|6.70|.264|7.00|.276|
Crown thickness|1.30|.051|1.30|.051|
Stem diameter|4.00|.157|3.95|.156|
Total length|6.80|.268|6.50|.256|
[/table]
That'll deal with the HOG, possibly the Edge Balanced, and the ODS RG-11. Any other family members?

Amazing thread!

LeadTurn SD, did you by any chance make any measurements for your Zeagle regs? I noticed you mentioned them earlier and, since I have a Zeagle Flathead VI, I'm curious.

Also, since I have contemplated the HOG regs a time or two: Has anyone looked to see if they turned out to be as "un-simple" as the Apeks (mentioned earlier in the thread)?

Thanks again for a fantastic thread,
Blue Sparkle

Excellent thread! I've already punched 49 seats out of a 2 1/4" by 2 1/4" square of 1/16" 80 Duro EPDM. Thanks!

I bought an old Conshelf that had a slight freeflow problem.
The LP seats had a small groove in them.

I took the seat out and realized there is a nice fresh face on the other side.

I turned the seat around and no more freeflow. :D

For my next rebuild, I will need the punch and rubber sheet
and a Good Housekeeping magazine.

The Beuchat balanced seconds VX and VXT are rebranded Apeks (or the other way around, but unlikely). There are numerous references to prove this, just do a search in the regulator section.

So the Beuchat part number 8155 ("Clapet") is the same as the Apeks AP2034 ("Rubber seat") and the Trident A148.

Interestingly, Beuchat specifies a 1.5 x 1 mm o-ring, P/N 7097 for the poppet/balance chamber seal, whereas Apeks specifies 2 x 1.02 mm, P/N AP2041. And there's another source that says 1.78 x 1.02 mm. Some stuff for Master couv to mull over. :D

Here's the updated charts.

Attachments

• 2nd Stage Seat All V3.xls
    66.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 2nd Stage Seat All V3.pdf
    245.8 KB · Views: 501
Amazing thread!

LeadTurn SD, did you by any chance make any measurements for your Zeagle regs? I noticed you mentioned them earlier and, since I have a Zeagle Flathead VI, I'm curious.

Also, since I have contemplated the HOG regs a time or two: Has anyone looked to see if they turned out to be as "un-simple" as the Apeks (mentioned earlier in the thread)?

Thanks again for a fantastic thread,
Blue Sparkle

Sorry, I had not looked at this tread in awhile. I'll measure the Zeagle seats this evening (pretty sure I still have an unopened rebuilt kit) and post the results.

My guess is that they will be the same as the other Zeagle seats listed, and Apeks, HOG, etc.

Best wishes.

The Beuchat balanced seconds VX and VXT are rebranded Apeks (or the other way around, but unlikely). There are numerous references to prove this, just do a search in the regulator section.

So the Beuchat part number 8155 ("Clapet") is the same as the Apeks AP2034 ("Rubber seat") and the Trident A148.

Interestingly, Beuchat specifies a 1.5 x 1 mm o-ring, P/N 7097 for the poppet/balance chamber seal, whereas Apeks specifies 2 x 1.02 mm, P/N AP2041. And there's another source that says 1.78 x 1.02 mm. Some stuff for Master couv to mull over. :D

Here's the updated charts.

Couv says,

The difference in i.d. between the largest and smallest seal in the above is not going to be an issue as the size of the groove the o-ring fits in will determine the installed inside diameter (As long as it's stretched a bit.)

The difference in cross section (0.02 mm < 0.00079 inches) is insignificant. Therefore, buy a quality seal from your favorite vendor.

In the past, the Usual Suspects got very good service from Precision Associates, Inc. Their site has a handy tool where you can enter the dimensions of the o-ring needed and they'll have a product code for it. McMaster-Carr is the diver's online hardware store:

http://catalog.precisionassoc.com/advanced/precision-associates-inc-o-rings/special-size-o-rings-1083?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9263k546/=b5zwwm

But Couv ain't always right and welcomes any corrections.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom