Rhode Island Shark Encounter June 30 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

video joe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am the producer and host of a non-profit wildlife documentary called Expedition New England that is designed to inspire environmental protection. At this time my show is now the 9th most popular program in the US out of all public access.

Right now I'm planning to film a documentary about sharks off the coast of Rhode Island and wanted to invite you "and any other adventurer / diver / snorkeler" to join me. My goal is to capture video of Blue and Mako sharks as well as any other pelagic species that make there way into a chum line. The underlying reason for my documentary is to dispel myths about sharks and raise awareness of the tremendous pressure on marine life to feed people and the direction we are headed.

At this point I'm planning to charter with Capt. Charlie Donilon out of Pt. Judith who has taken us out 5 times over the past 7 years with great results. Number one "I'm still alive" LOL Seriously, these sharks are not the blood thirsty killers that mainstream media has portrayed them to be. They are not interested in people unless you are doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. The per person cost is about $300- I'll be diving and filming everything but most people choose to snorkel and free dive. The date I'm looking to do our first trip is June 30th "Sunday" from 6:30am thru 5pm. If you want to secure a spot on this trip go to my website @ Expedition New England and learn more about us!
For more info on the dive go to this link;

Rhode Island Fishing Charter Shark Diving Trips Offshore

Sincerely,

Scott Tucker
Executive Director
Expedition Earth Productions
501c3
www.eepinc.org<Expedition New England>

Nice that at least you still have some sharks out on that coast to film. Back in the 60s and early 70s sharks were pretty abundant off my island, but then "Jaws" struck and long-lining and gill-netting too. Now they are mostly a memory. In areas I used to count a few dozen sharks (mostly small blues, 5-6 ft) from the dive boat on my way to the next dive site, over the past 12 years I have seen just one from the boat. We abandoned shark dives because too few of them accepted the invitation. Of course we still have the occasional great white encounter.

Best wishes for continued success with your show!

Is that the Sept trip Scott? I'm interested but kinda long range planning for me.

Sounds really cool, but I am on the wrong coast. Best of luck, and post some footage here?

Sounds really cool, but I am on the wrong coast. Best of luck, and post some footage here?

You've got plenty of Blues and Mako's on the West coast. If I go I'll post something in the Pub!

Yes! Great to see we are both still at it! It's definitely not like it used to be. We have been hit hard out here as well. Last year Capt. Donilon reported a Hammerhead, lots of Bue Shark and well as a few Mako coming into the slick. I'm planning a trip out west for 2014 and would love to chat.

Nice that at least you still have some sharks out on that coast to film. Back in the 60s and early 70s sharks were pretty abundant off my island, but then "Jaws" struck and long-lining and gill-netting too. Now they are mostly a memory. In areas I used to count a few dozen sharks (mostly small blues, 5-6 ft) from the dive boat on my way to the next dive site, over the past 12 years I have seen just one from the boat. We abandoned shark dives because too few of them accepted the invitation. Of course we still have the occasional great white encounter.

Best wishes for continued success with your show!

---------- Post added January 17th, 2013 at 06:42 AM ----------

I am attempting to make two or three trips this year to increase the amount of chances at seeing multiple species of shark. Late June is historically very good for the early arrivals and just in case the Hurricanes hit in Sept. and and blow us out I'm scheduled for an Aug. 24th dive as well. Take your pick and grab a spot now. I only have a few spots left.

Is that the Sept trip Scott? I'm interested but kinda long range planning for me.

---------- Post added January 17th, 2013 at 06:44 AM ----------

Sure thing! Perhaps we can talk about planning a trip out West? Can you share with me some of your favorite dive trips that might be good for the documentary?

Back
Top Bottom