RIB Boat as a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck - you can get ribs special ordered from Zodiac with foam tube sets. Granted you have to buy a Hurricane as the more recreational models don't have that option.

Problem with a whaler is that the ride isn't very smooth. I'm comparing Pug's
Whaler to my boat.

Tom - I had a chance to talk to a bunch of coasties about the SAFE boats. The crews that I talked to say they don't compare to an 833 in rough water. They claim that they get beat up pretty badly in comparison.

ShakaZulu:
Don't know about the rules here, but in SA the inflateable side of the boat needs to have at least three seperate compartments, in case of a puncture. Be that from a GW or your buddies dive knife. I do however think you will be able to make it home, even if they all blewout......just keep on the gas, the rigid part acts like a boat.

I've taken mine out in 4m swells, what a blast.....oh yes, there was no diving gear on the boat.

Most of the larger ribs have 5 chambers. You should be able to compromise at least one and still get back to the dock. I am glad we don't have GW's up here.

Whaler ride depends on the model. The bigger ones (like the size 2Tours is talking about)
have a deeper V and ride better. However, the gas mileage isn't as good with a deeper
V.

I've taken my 17' whaler on some pretty long runs. Out to the Farallones (76.4
nautical miles round trip, if we went direct, which we didn't. Probably 85 nm actual)
this past Sunday.

Everything about boats is a tradeoff. The key is for each person to make an informed
decision about what tradeoffs THEY want to make.

A 17' Whaler in the Farallons? That waterline is a little too low for some of the stuff out there. I was watching Shark Week years ago when I still watched tv and they had some big Great White come roaring out of the abyss right into a tethered surfboard. Some creepy footage!
SAFE boats don't ride as well as a conventional inflatable hull, but they're nice when people start shooting at you.

ShakaZulu:
Photo of the Mako Ballistic, on my wishlist.....will see whn I vist SA at the end of this year.

http://www.makoinflatablesusa.com/7.8M_photo3.html

http://www.makoinflatablesusa.com/7.8M_photo1.html

What are those things in front? "seats?" for riders?

Tom Winters:
Broward Sheriffs Office bought a nice RIB for marine patrol and diving support. A 41' as I recall. $425,000 too. I'd say that would be an excellent choice for a dive boat.

ouch! $425k for a RIB? For that I can pick up a very nice 40+ foot Sea Ray that's "Loaded" with Cummins diesels, genset, compressor, A/C, and a very nice cabin.

Chuck Tribolet:
And if a shark bites a RIB, it doesn't float very well.

They actually make RIB's now that are solid with foam or composite floatation instead of just being full of air. While I've never been on one, a friend who works on a Coast Guard rescue boat says they beat the 'heck' out of the the "sides" and since they are filled they don't have to worry about puncturing them, especially on debris at a rescue site.

the "things in front" are saddles instead of seats, allows for riders to maintain their "sea legs" better

I'm not prepared to drop $400K on a boat (or even a house for that matter) so I am looking to go with a high quality RIB as economically possible. I'm seriously considering the RIBCRAFT 7.8, does anyone have any experience with this brand or know of any other quality RIBs available in the U.S.?

Our LDS uses a RIB all year round, great for speedy trips to and from the dive site, can be tricky getting back in sometimes though :D. But I love diving on one!

Plus they're great fun to drive too :wink:

2Tours N Iraq`:
I'm not prepared to drop $400K on a boat (or even a house for that matter) so I am looking to go with a high quality RIB as economically possible. I'm seriously considering the RIBCRAFT 7.8, does anyone have any experience with this brand or know of any other quality RIBs available in the U.S.?

For a 730 with a decent sized engine fully outfitted expect to spend around $40K. new.
If I were you I would look into getting a Bombard Explorer DB (dive boat). Both Bombard and Avon are owned by Zodiac. Zodiac also offers the Pro Open boat, but it's only 6 meters. If you can find a used Hurricane at a good price - hands down I would go for that.
http://www.zodiacmarineusa.com/products/bombard.html

I believe you are in California. It might be worth getting in touch with Cormac at Inflatable Boat Sales in Vancouver BC. On his web site he has a few used Hurricanes (these are military versions of Zodiacs. Hurricane is also owned by Zodiac North America) for sale. The Hurricanes are built a whole lot tougher than the recreational Zodiacs. The tube sets are made from hypalon which will outlast the pvc tubes that the rec. boats are made with. The Hurricanes are virtually indestructable. A downside with the Hurricane is that they ride higher in the water than the Bombard or Avon. You will need to put a ladder on the back transome. It's not a big deal. On the Bombard you get out of your gear in the water and then can dolphin kick onto the boat. The only other downside is that the the Hurricanes are a heavier boat and will need a larger engine(s) to make them go. Having driven a 733 and the CZ7 with twin 150's though, I can say that when you put the spurs to her, she'll take off - 55 knots. Without seeing the boats, I'm guessing that these are pretty good deals. Keep in mind that his prices are in Canadian dollars, so you will save at least 25%. Cormac can be a PITA at times to deal with, but hands down he knows his ribs.

http://www.inflatableboatsales.com/specials.asp

Actually, I'm in Iraq but Florida is home for me so anything on the east coast would be great.

Back
Top Bottom