RICHinNC's month on an island...just taken away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, I know. I am alive and that's the good part. But it is going to cost me thousands.

I was on the way to work this morning about 0530 and it was raining. There were 6 of us in trail on the road with good spacing.

Coming at me a car in the opposite lane just started going from one side of the road to the other and then right at me. I veered on to the shoulder but there wasnt enough of it to save me and wham.

My brand new Nissan Frontier LE is now a hunk of junk. Less than 9k on the odometer. I will be screwed by the insurance and it will cost me thousands above what I will get to replace it....or worse....they will say it is fixable...yea right.

So there goes my month on an island this year. All that money I was going to spend on that.......on another car now.

Why can people drive sensibly in the rain???? The guy totally admitted he was at fault and going to fast for the conditions....but that wont mean squat come $$$$ time.

Pardon me while I sulk off and curse and cry a while. She was a new truck too...arrggg.

Shouldn't his insurance cover the cost of your car repairs? Or does your country have no-fault insurance?

Bryan

Poor baby, after totally wrecking 2 cars in under a year due to the other persons fault, I will tell you you are never made whole, it always costs you something....

Sorry about the car, dude, but really - be glad to be alive. Some of my friends aren't.

Nissan will build you another one. A Better one. (THAT One! - Oops, pardon the Pirates of the Caribbean slide-in... :) )

And the insurance picture may not be all that bleak. Quickly, while the other guy is still into screwing himself, try to get an affadavit in which he totally admits it's all his fault. As long as your insurance company can subrogate the expense to some other carrier, they should be up for putting you back in the driver's seat of another brand new Nissan.

And then, if you're actually out a thou or so,.....call up one of the mortuaries in your area and ask them for the current retail price of a top-of-the-line walnut coffin with brass fittings and the white silk lining with the little Serta mattress in it. Hell, you could have been spending the thousand on one of those.

Buy a bottle of single malt scotch and put your feet up and relax. You'll be on that island again in no time....

:wink:

Glad you're still with us,

Doc

Aww jeeze. I'm sorry. That really sucks. But if it is repairable and the other guy's insurance will pay for it, go for it. Then you can still have your month on an island.
But I can so relate since my kid did $7,000+ worth of damage to his car, and then, since it his car was going to take weeks to repair, I have a rental that insurance pays for. He can't drive the rental because of his age (rental companies aren't stupid) so I let him have my car to get to work. So far, he had 2 more accidents with my car. Which I don't have collision for anymore because it is 6 years old. Both times, (in fact all three times) he took corners too fast, hit the curb and messed up the passenger side front tire, wheel and alignment. Only this last time, he may have bent the frame too, along with the control arm, struts and other stuff. I should know by this afternoon if my car is toast. And yes, he will never, ever drive my car again if I get it back. At least I think he learned his lesson (he owes me about $900 for all of this damage, more if I have to buy a new car) and he didn't kill himself or anyone else in the process. And, except for hitting a parked car with his car, the other two accidents only involved a curb, not another driver. Now I understand why insurance companies charge so much for teen drivers.

Glad you're all right!

If the other person is at fault, why should you have to pay?

It isnt necessarily a question of "paying" ... more of a question of not getting full value and thus LOSING $$$$

Glad to hear you're ok!

It may not be that bad, even if they say to repair it. My husband has a Chevy dealership and they have rebuilt vehicles from the ground up after accidents. One guy was doing 65mph on an off-ramp (this one ends in a T-intersection, the one he thought he was on becomes the road) and when he went over the embankment his boat jumped off the trailer into the bed. He was lucky he wasn't killed but the truck had less than 1000 miles on it and not enough damage to total it. I think hubby said the damage was just over $30,000. Hubby's shop got a brand new frame and spend months moving the good parts from the damaged truck to the new frame as they rebuilt the truck. The guy told hubby he was going to trade it as soon as it was done because a wrecked vehicle is never the same. When he got the truck back he couldn't believe it drove like a new truck and he kept it.

Even if they repair your vehicle it should be like brand new. Getting everything moved to a new frame if the frame is bent will take time and hopefully the dealership has an oven so they can bake the paint finish on just like the factory. It's amazing what they can do with repairs these days.
Ber :lilbunny:

UPDATE......UPDATE..........UPDATE...........

My adjustor made the decision it was repairable. Gonna cost a mint, but repairable. I was really not happy. I dont want a wrecked truck and that other guy that BR had his truck/car fixed in my book is just lucky.

Bottom line......adjustor called me back after she told me the news and we talked and she knew how I felt and her bosses decided to go ahead and total the dang thing. She appraised it at a price just over what I paid for it.....(pays to haggle)... so I am going truck hunting this weekend. Woo hoo......

You lucky sod !!!! But I'm happy for you!

I completely restored a 1976 MG Midget to perfect condition. Hit an object in the road and lost control. There was no way the insurance company would reimburse me for the amount I'd put into her.

Oh, well . . .

Don't you buy no ugly truck !!!

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom