Rigging the backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goindrinkn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been doing some more reading and had a question about rigging the backplate...

It looks to me like the recommendation is over the same sholder as opposed to the "switchback" style. (This is for a standard hog harness)

I am just wondering why that is? And/Or the pros and cons to either way? Is it harder to remove someone from? or does it put a little twist that causes more wear? or is it simply seen as unnecessary?

Your thoughts please!

I tried it that way
It's annoying around the back of the neck and sits closer in on the shoulders, making donning and doffing way more difficult than it needs to be
I personally wouldn't bother to be honest, but give it a go if you're interested to see how it works for you. The benefit of harness setups is that it's relatively easy to change it back after you make changes.

Yeah, it just doesn't work well for my wide shoulders. Mostly the folks that like it are the skinny ladies who have the BP like to slip off their shoulders.

Tom

It used to be some what trendy to cross the shoulder straps on the plate and I tried it that way for a very brief period of time, but I noted it was harder to get in and out of, particularly with a dry suit, heavy underwear and dry glove rings, and i noted the straps put more stress and wear on a drysuit neck seal when rigged that wat.

I know people who prefer it that way, but it often comes down to a desire to keep the straps from either slipping off of narrow shoulders or from interfering with boobs - in other words I tend to see it more with females than males.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom