Right exposure protection for CSSP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BetterLateThannever

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok everyone,

I'm hoping to get back into the water this summer and it looks like most everyone in this area has relocated to CSSP from Athens.

I haven't dived at CSSP yet mainly because I don't have any cold water gear. What do I really need? Dry suit?

I'd like to say money is no object, but that would be fibbing.

Time of year plays a huge role.

This time of year I am dry. Actually, I have dove in my dry suit in July too, but I truely thought I was going to roast getting down to the lake.

You could probably handle it in a 5mm and a hood in the summer.

It also depends on if you want to go below the thermal.

If you want to stay shallow, or above the thermal, you could do fine in what you have.

TwoBit

In the hot summer months at CSSP you need just a 3mil (long or shorty) for most of the lake,,,at the 60' mark it is still cool.. This month I am diving my 7mil/hood/gloves/boots.

During the warmer months, I do ok with my 2.5mm wetsuit.
Below the thermo, it can get a little cool though.
I do wear my hood (Henderson microprene), but primarily it's to keep those piranha perch from munching on a ear.
It would also depend on how susceptible you are to the cold.
I tend to be warm-blooded myself and don't get chilled easily.

I dove it all last summer wearing a 7mm with a beanie or hood. You could get by with a lot less, but I hate getting cold. Like the others have said, it's downright cold at the bottom no matter what time of year it is. Summertime, it hits around 80° at the top and stays in the 70's until the first thermocline, so a 3mm works for the first 25 feet or so. I always laugh at the folks wearing 3mm when they dip below the thermo, because it doesn't take long for them to get all they want...lol.

From about June on a 3mm works OK. That's if you're staying above the thermo, which aint hard to do. The platforms are just shy of 25', the plane and boat sit around there too. I think Cisco is about the same depth. My favorite is to hang out in the hydrilla with the fish, which is a pretty shallow dive - avg 15-20'.

TruckDiver & I do a regular tour type dive that starts accross to the wall then comes back along the North bank to the dock or visa versa. It's usually a 45- 60 minute dive that doesn't involve the thermocline.

Checking out my dives from June last year, above 25' = 78 - 81 degrees; to 35' = 71 & up; 40' = 66 degrees. May temps were a lot colder. I only did 1 dive above 25' with Foo & Donald, but it was still 71 degrees. Below that was all in the 60's.

Personally, I like wearing a 5mm. It works great above and below the thermo.

For this time of the year, a 7mm full and a 5mm hooded vest will do.

Interesting. Not one mention of a drysuit. Des didn't you buy a Mobby a year or two back?

I guess I should have mentioned in my first post I am very susceptible to the cold. At 70 degrees it's to cold for me to catch my breath.

The only time I dove Possum Kingdom I thought someone had cut off my air when I hit the first thermo. Never want to repeat that experience. :)

Dude, read my first post again.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you don't have the exposure protection to go below the thermal, which in the middle of summer is at about 25-28 feet, then don't.

TwoBit

Well Dude,

LOL. Never having diven, dove or dived CSSP, kinda hard to say what profile I plan to keep to. Might just want to see it all.

From Des' post I am thinking 5mm might work ok for the time of the year I consider diving season.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom