Right Place at Right Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which island and what dive shop are you using?

I am sure there are those that could nit-pick the way I handled this situation.
Who the heck cares, the guys safe and sound back on the boat, anything else is an exercise in the futile act of making an imperfect situation perfect...

These things do happen, and if you've been diving long enough, you have a story (or several) just like this one. Sometimes, it's easy to single these incidents out and say "I'm never going to go with an instabuddy"; however, you have to realize that these stories are the exception, and not the rule.
Aint that the truth. Ive had plenty of instabuddies as I preferr travelling alone with nobody to tell me were going shopping today instead of diving and most of them have been great fun to dive with. Yes, Ive ran into a few incidents, some of them avoidable, all of them in the end nothing but a learning experience.

Which island and what dive shop are you using?

Not sure just yet honestly. My job is taking us on a week long cruise around the islands and I wanted to sneak in a dive somewhere. Probably only have one day so not sure which spot to pick. Any Recommendations? PM me if you don't mind so we don't hijack the thread. Thanks.

My only question is how the charter allowed them on without AOW cards.
Why would they require them to have AOW?!?!?

If the girl was 13, the highest certification she could get is JOW in SSI or Padi.

Likely the weight belt loosened up as depth increased and body compression occurred. The gas spaces in the gut compress, too. ...

Makes total sense since I adjust as I descend (tightening everything up) but I can't say I ever thought that compression would be that significant.
…

One suggestion: Use a Marseille-style freediver’s rubber weightbelt. They stretch like crazy to adjust for suit compression. Check out the video on this page. They really do stay in place even when you wear them just above crotch level. They only caveat is they tend to max out around 20 Lbs/10Kg.

Freedive Weight Belt | MAKO Spearguns

Last edited:
You did terriffic. BIG ata-boy for 1. recognizing and choosing to dive with a pair that needed a helping hand (even if they didn't know it at the time) and 2. the underwater panic management. Dive op should be faulted for placing OW students in 80+ water. They are responsible for checking C cards and planning dives in accordance with the limitations of the group. At a minimum, they should have anchored in a spot to accomidate both. YOU saved a life (maybe 2).

One suggestion: Use a Marseille-style freediver’s rubber weightbelt. They stretch like crazy to adjust for suit compression. Check out the video on this page. They really do stay in place even when you wear them just above crotch level. They only caveat is they tend to max out around 20 Lbs/10Kg.

Freedive Weight Belt | MAKO Spearguns

And if you don't go for the fancy French belt, there is the old school rubber belt and wire bail buckle. It will carry well over 20# if you need it, I do. No video because, as I said, it is old technology.

AQUWB45.JPG

There other methods including spring in belt buckle, bungee tensioners on belt, and so on, however the rubber belt systems seem to be the best in my limited experience. I use a rubber belt for freediving. and an XS Scuba pocket belt for tank diving and have no problems with either.

Of course all bets are off if you don't tighten them properly, which was the initial cause of the problem under discussion.

Bob
--------------------------------------------
There are more ways than one to skin a cat, however the cat never likes it.

At 12, children can get their JAOW through PADI. My son is taking the course now.
And so I stand corrected. Thanks Dalaimama! Looks like PADI allows kids under 14 to become Dive Masters.

Back
Top Bottom