right pony size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigtim6656

Reaction score
KEY LARGO florida diving capital of the world
# of dives
25 - 49
I am getting a set ouf 119 doubles in week, I will be splitting them up for singles, as I am not ready to go to doubles and the deal is just to good to pass up.

On a shallow reef dive I got 29 minutes out of a al80, bad but moving up, I got 25 minutes out of a 120 on our ow dives. Not to worried about a pony for the shallow diving more the deeper reefs, and wrecks, IE spegiel, Duane, vandenburg and such. I am thinking a 40cf on a sling. Would you agree, also should it be al or steel

Last edited:
I'd recommend that you get to the root of the issue... gas planning. Work out your SAC and how that relates to dive depth, duration and cylinder capacity.

With that information, you can easily assess your air requirements for any individual dive and also make informed decision about your cylinder requirements.

Plenty of info about SAC calculations and gas manangement here on the board :)

Read the excellent explanation of gas management here as a starter:

NWGratefulDiver.com

Then you will not have to rely on sometimes grouchy folks like us for an answer :D

And yes an AL40 should be enough of a pony for any "recreational" depth dive as a bailout bottle, but please do the reading first, so you can answer this for yourself :wink:

Best wishes.

that explains alot, helps with other things, still unsure if 40 is right, or should I go more or less. more is better then less though
Read the excellent explanation of gas management here as a starter:

NWGratefulDiver.com

Then you will not have to rely on sometimes grouchy folks like us for an answer :D

And yes an AL40 should be enough of a pony for any "recreational" depth dive as a bailout bottle, but please do the reading first, so you can answer this for yourself :wink:

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom