Rinsing Unsealed Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaboy10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a question that's been troubling me regarding rinsing off unsealed regulators. Common practice is to place the dust cap firmly over the opening and rinse. however, I recently got an Apeks (unsealed) 1st stage and I have been pulling up threaded stating that you you need to clean the salt from the opening by rinsing with the dust cap off.... is this common practice? does this differentiate between different 1st stage types?

regulator in question is an Apeks US4/UST

No. You never rinse with the dust cap off. And there is no need to soak the regulator, rinse with a hose is best to get the salt out of the ambient pressure ports.

You can always disconnect the hoses and put the first stage on a tank to
blow out what water remains . And I agree with Wookie never rinse your
Reg without the dust cap in place .
Sea Dwellers

You need to rinse the inside of the hexagonal opening which is at the bottom of the reg NOT the gas inlet.
Please be gentle with the rinsing and do NOT disturb the setting of the hexagonal opening(6mm) because it is used to set the IP.

Having worked extensive on regulators, I now only rinse or soak them while they remain pressurized. You wouldn't believe the amount of corrosion I have seen from even the most casual water intrusion . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom