RIP Christopher Pettit - found 2/7/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silvernotch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Tomorrow marks the 2nd anniversary of recovering my cousin Christopher's body after he drowned Nov 15th during a duck hunting accident. He was only 23 years old and I always thought he'd be around. It still breaks my heart to think that I can't pick up the phone and call him. He loved everything that had to do with the water and the beach. I'd like to think that if he were still with us he would even like to get into diving. It just seemed like something he'd enjoy, especially something like spearfishing.

Missing hunter's body found - NJ.com

I miss him every day and he would have NEVER been found if it wasn't for the help of the divers with the Garden State Underwater Recovery Unit. Garden State Underwater Recovery Unit - Water Rescue and Safety Organization My family is forever grateful for all their hard work and efforts. They, along with other great volunteers and help, brought some closure to all of us.

I had wanted to dive for years and was planning on getting certified around the time of his accident. After he drowned I decided to put it aside as I didn't want to put the stress on my family, especially my father, if something were to ever happen to me. After we found him I realized how mad he would be at me if I didn't do what I had always wanted to do, so I went for it. I had a little emotional moment during my AOW when search and body recovery was brought up but with the help of my boyfriend and my wonderful instructors I made it over that hump. After a year of being certified my father is even slowly coming around to the idea of my diving hobby.

26283_115036441845608_100000177595057_251504_727716_n.jpg

Silvernotch your deciding to get into diving and overcome the past is an awesome feat. I lost my wife years ago in tragedy and decided to never work law enforcement again and even gave it up. I left Alabama and never returned even to this date.

I did however not long after get back into it again on a lesser scale and have since went on to save lives that I credit to her memory. I have saved a few even in water which I am proud of. I Recalled she showed me the gulf of mexico which was my first time ever seeing salt water. She taught me a lot too. So in her memory I went and got certified in diving and after becoming a master diver I even learned to swim (Backwards huh)

But dont let tragedy ever discourage you. I did and because of it I feel like I somehow dishonored her because I gave up on everything. Thats not what they would want us to do. They would want us to be happy and live on and enjoy our lives as much as they enjoyed theirs. Remember also though no one really wants to die he did pass away doing what he loved.

Back
Top Bottom