Ripped the pockets out of my BCD....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmh84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Shouldn't have used them to hold the extra weight I guess :shakehead:.

Anyways, I'm a pretty handy seamstress, anything I should know before i try to tackle a repair?

On mine, the bcd and pockets are nylon. I used a lighter to melt the nylon and to stop all the fraying. The melted plastic lip this creates keeps the thread from pulling through. I bought a medium nylon thread from JoAnn's fabrics for the sewing and just did it by hand with kind of a lock stitch. It worked out fine. Its probably weaker than OEM, but you're not going to be putting weights in the pocket again, are you? :wink:

On mine, the bcd and pockets are nylon. I used a lighter to melt the nylon and to stop all the fraying. The melted plastic lip this creates keeps the thread from pulling through. I bought a medium nylon thread from JoAnn's fabrics for the sewing and just did it by hand with kind of a lock stitch. It worked out fine. Its probably weaker than OEM, but you're not going to be putting weights in the pocket again, are you? :wink:

Darn right I'm not :) Reserved for my tiny backup flashlight from now on! I just can't stand looking at the frayed edge sticking off an otherwise good looking BC!

Back
Top Bottom