RMO trips in 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
so how many RMO members have done a trip to NC for wreck diving?
We are thinking of doing it in 2009, maybe late May or early June for a week. Costs of out-of-country trips are just too much right now considering the economy and such! So we have been looking at NC wrecks (yeah, I know it isn't Chuuk but it is supposed to be just as good and less $$$), its a trip we have talked about off and on for years and just haven't gone. Anybody have a favorite dive to share? Favorite dive op? I bought the NC wreck diving video from Olympus Dive Center ( http://www.olympusdiving.com/) and the dive sites look amazing! :shocked2: Price of airfare is pretty cheap too - fly into Raleigh, rent car and drive down to Morehead City area.. :D

I have posted questions over on the NC Forum too, just wondered how many RMOs have done this trip? :D What did you think???

robin:D

I think it is a GREAT idea! Unfortunately I was part of a large Verizon Layoff, and am currently unemployed. If I find work, I am definitely interested. If not, I still think it's a great idea, and would encourage others to consider this.

One thought however, this is NOT easy diving (well it can be, but often not). I hear however that the diving is excellent, and even have a couple of friends in that area.

so how many RMO members have done a trip to NC for wreck diving?
We are thinking of doing it in 2009, maybe late May or early June for a week. Costs of out-of-country trips are just too much right now considering the economy and such! So we have been looking at NC wrecks (yeah, I know it isn't Chuuk but it is supposed to be just as good and less $$$), its a trip we have talked about off and on for years and just haven't gone. Anybody have a favorite dive to share? Favorite dive op? I bought the NC wreck diving video from Olympus Dive Center ( Olympus Dive Center) and the dive sites look amazing! :shocked2: Price of airfare is pretty cheap too - fly into Raleigh, rent car and drive down to Morehead City area.. :D

I have posted questions over on the NC Forum too, just wondered how many RMOs have done this trip? :D What did you think???

I did this trip last year with SingleDivers.com to Morehead City over July 4th. We dove with DiverDown and stayed at the adjacent motel. I think the trip was about $700+airfare. We did three days of diving, one day on the Shurz, then the U352, Hutton, and some others that I can't remember at the moment. Definitely not for those who don't like long boat rides 2+hours each way. Also those that didn't take sea sickness pills all pretty much got sick.

I enjoyed it and would do it again.

Personally I'd like to go the other way and check out the diving in Southern California. That looks pretty cool and is a bit shorter of a drive.

I did this trip last year with SingleDivers.com to Morehead City over July 4th. We dove with DiverDown and stayed at the adjacent motel. I think the trip was about $700+airfare. We did three days of diving, one day on the Shurz, then the U352, Hutton, and some others that I can't remember at the moment. Definitely not for those who don't like long boat rides 2+hours each way. Also those that didn't take sea sickness pills all pretty much got sick.

I enjoyed it and would do it again.

Personally I'd like to go the other way and check out the diving in Southern California. That looks pretty cool and is a bit shorter of a drive.

yeah, we are regular Calif kelp divers and go every summer, we'll go again this summer, too.:D

my main reason for this post is to find out how many people here have been to NC and what they thought of it. Since we are crazy divers here (diving in cold water by choice, year-round). :wink: I respect this dive group alot and value everyone's opinions. I just wondered if it is worth doing and who everyone liked to dive with, what they liked about it, etc.

BTW - I tried last year to organize a group trip to Calif with the RMO divers and no one came through. So I don't think I will bother trying it again.

I'm going to a family wedding in the DC area in July and plan to do a detour with some friends to dive NC while there. If you wind up flexing the timing out to July, I'll throw in.

Also hitting the northern Channel Islands the weekend after New Year's, I'll do cold if the timing works out!

Hope you land work soon, Ron!

Back
Top Bottom