Roatan 11/9-16/2013 Whether or not....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moral: never believe tropical weather forecasts for Roatan.

Correct but would seem beneficial to believe time tested weather patterns, Because I am to lazy to type a new post, this reply previously sums it up pretty well along with the northern coast of Honduras being under redmarine alert and Roatan in yellow the Airport and ferry have been shut down a few days now and likely tomorrow as well, Wednesday and Thursday had a lot of north side boats, bananarama, AKR, etcc but by today it seems many diver were just done with it as there were less than half dozen visible all day from my place and I am less than half mile from where most bring their boats when coming to this side , Forecast is for another 24 hours of rain. I hope that anyone inconvenienced by this weather are those that balked at my posts about rain ruining a trip and not those that believed the ones talking about being wet anyway

Reactions: Doc
15" of rain since tuesday night and big waves, this front is really soaking us ! no dive boats, ferries, or planes for three days here on utila.

1487723_335590506581921_136809835_o.jpg

east harbor utila this a.m., my friends house getting flooded but we just heard a plane so things are improving !

Last edited:
Yup. The official end of the Atlantic Hurricane season was today.

So there's that.

Just to put this week's weather in perspective, this was an unusually strong norther cold front, both in terms of intensity & duration. Over the 2 years that we have lived on Roatan we have only seen 3 fronts like this, and this one was by far the strongest. These fronts are normally generated in the central U.S. & pickup their moisture as they come down the Gulf of Mexico, so they are rare before mid-November as it has to get cold enough in the U.S. to generate the cold front. Typically they don't occur past mid-January as the NE trades fill in, effectively blocking them from coming this far south.This is not typical rainy season weather, usually it's brief, strong, fast moving squalls lasting for 30 minutes or so followed by clearing, then another squall comes along a little while later. Often the rain occurs at night & there is much less during the day, as evidenced by Doc's report for the week that he was here. Over the past month we have had great weather on Roatan with very little rain during the days, until this system came in & it's gone today. Certainly this type of bad weather can happen anytime & is more likely this time of year, but that can happen any place, it doesn't make it the norm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom