Roatan - Coco View Resort or Aggressor Liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrmdad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are looking to dive Roatan in the Spring/Summer of 2019. Any feedback on either Coco View Resort or the Aggressor Liveaboard? We have been on four Aggressor liveaboards before, but Coco View Resort has amazing reviews, etc. Even though we love the Aggressor Liveaboard experience, we can do Coco View Resort for half the price. Any feedback?

I'm going to go in a totally different direction...

Any reason you haven't looked at AKR (especially when you say 'we', the deal there is hard to beat).

It's hard to compare. CCV is near some of the best south side diving and has just about the only decent shore diving. AKR has the dolphins but you can do that as a walk-in for about $20 more than the guest price - something over $130 IIRC.

Partly it depends on how far east either operation goes. If the Aggressor runs around the entire east end, Morat Wall is internationally recognized. I don't believe either CCV or AKR go there.

Also of course you get to go to Utila on the Aggressor - I personally thought the north side of Utila was better than anything on Roatan - certainly more dramatic. We even saw some sharks there compared to only at the shark dive on Roatan. CCV dives Mary's Place which is one of the signature Roatan dives - it's possible AKR does also.

I saw the Aggressor up close when it was the Pearl? on Utila. It's as nice as it looks.

CCV itself is a step down from an Aggressor in terms of amenities. AKR is maybe a little nicer. The equivalence on Roatan is probably Barefoot Cay but it's Aggressor money or even a little higher. If it matters to "we" - there's no pool at Cocoview.

fwiw, I've only seen CCV from the Prince Albert wreck site. I have been to AKR and BFC. As well as Roatan's West End and a dive resort on Utila.

I hope this indecision helps...

We are looking to dive Roatan in the Spring/Summer of 2019. Any feedback on either Coco View Resort or the Aggressor Liveaboard? We have been on four Aggressor liveaboards before, but Coco View Resort has amazing reviews, etc. Even though we love the Aggressor Liveaboard experience, we can do Coco View Resort for half the price. Any feedback?

The mosquitos and sand fleas can be ferocious on Roatan so you might be better off going with the Aggressor.

I have heard that March through May is the best time of year to visit the Bay Islands you might want to visit earlier in the Spring/Summer instead of later.

Easy choice for me to pick the Aggressor (which we did in 2014 when it was still the Caribbean Pearl), as I love liveaboards, hate bugs, and wasn't all that fond of CCV. (In particular, I thought the food was pretty mediocre, and I didn't like how the second dive of every boat trip is a dropoff back near the resort. Also I've generally preferred the diving along the along the north and west end of Roatan.) I'd also like to do the Aggressor because the Pearl didn't do Cayos Cochinos and the sea mounts.

Your 2 choices are so different it depends what you like and what is most important to you. CCV gets great reviews, how you will feel about it depends on how what they do well (or not) matches up with what you like. It's a fine choice if the price and what you get for it is what works for you. I don't regret having gone, but I'm not sure we will ever return.

If AKR extends the Buy One Get One into 2019 it's hard to beat the price for what you get.fwiw, the SB sponsored trip was there - part of that is who offers the best deal for our members also. I would definitely stay on the Key there, the pool and small bar is there. The dining room is shore side and there's a lot of steps...
Superior means air-conditioning - you want that...

Highly Recommend Barefoot Cay in Roatan. Really great place, small boutique hotel with Mary's place literally a stones throw.
My Father and I went in June 2018 and was fantastic - Diving | Roatán Luxury Resort & Private Cay Diving | Barefoot Cay™ Resort

I recommend the dining package as the restaurant on site is great and will cook anything you ask for, the manager of the resort joins you on most morning dives if he and and does everything to make your trip better. We didn't experience any bad mosquitos or fleas.

They also have a great shore dive right off of a small dock where they have sunk a bunch of different things to create small reefs to check out.

Vance was our DM and he was amazing, if you go request him and you won't be disappointed.

I did not enjoy my one visit to CCV very much...the diving, the viz, the food, the accommodations. I've never had a bad trip on an Aggressor, or any liveaboard, for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom