Roatan day trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scc135

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to spend one day of my trip just driving around and seeing what's available on the island (diving or otherwise). What are the must-hit spots on the island? I'm completely game for whatever. I would like to circle most of the island to get in lots of local flavor. Wasn't there a restaurant out east over the water that is a must try?

Recommend the following:
Seaplane ride, Fantasy Island
Awesome Pizza and jar of Mango Jam at Marble Hill Farm
All-U-Can-Eat Sunday feast at Hole in the Wall, Blue Rock near Jonesville
Cold Beer at Camp Bay Beach (La Sirena)
View from Paya Bay by Port Royal
Meet and Greet at Sundowners. West End
Villages of Oakridge, Punta Gorda and St Helena for island flavor
Arch's Iguana Farm at French Key
Morat Wall and Barbaretta for pristine dives

The Iguana Farm is a riot, though some of the caged animals made us sad. Punta Gorda is worth checking out - cultural presentations available sometimes. The hiking in the Carambola Reserve is wonderful - you can see across to Utila from the top on a clear day. Enjoy!

Perhaps I can do a morning dive, drive around, see some sights, then do a eastern dive, then drive and see some more?

I think the restaurant you may be referring to is The View..

The View

The View is located on one of the highest points in Roatan and overlooks both the north and south coast.

While the seating is outdoors with an awesome view overlooking the hilside and reefs, the tables are wood and utensils are placed on paper napkins. The reason to come to this restaurant is the view and the food, both are outstanding they offer a variety of seafood and meat dishes that are well prepared, fresh and tasty. The salads with fresh spinach and lettuce can be made up with shrimp, chicken. The steak is tender and tasty. Save room for dessert, their chocolate bred pudding is sumptuous. The restaurant is inexpensive and the service is good. Cash only.

The butterfly farm is great. They also have a number of rescued birds that are amazing. A small fee and the guy takes you around and gives you an "eco tour". my 3 favorites would be the butterflys, iguanas and the little bitty plane over the island. I can't hardly wait, 2 1/2 weeks to Cocoview.

Perhaps I can do a morning dive, drive around, see some sights, then do a eastern dive, then drive and see some more?
Are you being literal about one day? It takes longer to get from one end to the other than it looks.

Was hoping and thinking to do it in 1 day... maybe it's not really as possible as I thought...

I think the restaurant you may be referring to is The View..

The View has been closed for a long time now - at least 5 months. They were re-roofing it last week so hopefully it will reopen soon. I had heard it was sold again, but you know how rumors are here.... blahhhh. :idk:

He may have been talking about HOLE IN THE WALL. Its east, over water and was featured recently in USA Today.

The View has been closed for a long time now - at least 5 months. They were re-roofing it last week so hopefully it will reopen soon. I had heard it was sold again, but you know how rumors are here.... blahhhh. :idk:

He may have been talking about HOLE IN THE WALL. Its east, over water and was featured recently in USA Today.

dang I hadn't heard that...too bad we were planning on going there when we were there in June to celebrate a couple of birthdays....oh well...a monkey la la in the hammock will have to do I guess :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom