Roatan Dive Trip Report-STAY AWAY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

malaria isn't a minor inconvenience or simply a potential trip-spoiler

Absolutely not. I contracted tertiary cerebral malaria in Africa in '72 and was lucky to survive - I was in hospital for many weeks. Most people who contract this particular strain, and many who contract other strains, die from it. Note that I caught malaria despite taking the prophelactics then prescribed, and for the period stipulated - these drugs reduce your likelihood of getting ill, they don't protect you fully. The only really safe way to avoid getting ill is to avoid getting bitten.

On a different occasion but also in Africa I contracted Hep A, and again had it very badly. I was in an isolation ward in a hospital for 5 weeks, unable to work at all for three months, and got tired very easily for probably 18 months. A few years later I became diabetic and the doctors believed the one caused the other. In terms of alcohol (in)tolerance it's a life sentence. This I ALSO contracted despite having all the recommended drugs. Do NOT assume you have 100% protection.

I don't know about current typhoid/para-typhoid/cholera prophelactics, but when I was taking them regularly they gave quite limited protection - around 70% I believe.

In all seriousness, walking past 2 armed guards with 9mm pistola's at the front door of the local gas station at 8:00 p.m. on a friday night DID kinda un-nerve me.........

Don't kid yourself, armed home robberies are on the rise down there, and a bunch of cocaine had just washed up on the beach (last December). I felt totally safe at Cocoview, but I won't go into the west end again.

Yeah Roatan Sucks, but the West End REALLY SUX, stay away. Oh and don't fly in for gods sake. The runway is too short and the airprt is FULL of armed x-ray machines, thay can give you cancer you know

Since everyone hates the place so much, but can not wait to get back...huh???? Questions for the frequent visitors, I have not seen any discussions about a resort called "Luna Beach". I am new here, and have been reading a lot of the way past notes, so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with them....Thanks to everyone for the info you guys have posted for the last decade..it sure helps a new member out.....Slurpeeman

I'm headed out there in a month. Can't wait!

Glad to hear its miserable, im headed to Utila Aug 1st for a month and i hope its just as unbearable there :)

I am leaving today. I can't wait to get out of here and back to my job and shoes and long pants and a clock.

Don't kid yourself, armed home robberies are on the rise down there, and a bunch of cocaine had just washed up on the beach (last December).

Damn, I've been looking for that.

I have been to Luna beach twice this year, and its a great resort especially its location. Its about 5 minute walk to the start os West End, and yet ts far enough away thats it quiet. Go to Trip Advisor and do a search for Luna Beach. You will get a lot of info there.

I have been to Luna beach twice this year, and its a great resort especially its location. Its about 5 minute walk to the start os West End, and yet ts far enough away thats it quiet. Go to Trip Advisor and do a search for Luna Beach. You will get a lot of info there.

thank you for the info....I found the "has this been asked before" search after I posted the question, so I got that info too.....appreciate it very much

our research team is headed there in October. Glad for the heads up. We will go prepared to be as miserable as the rest of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom