Roatan holiday for August'13, what's your opinion on hotel/resort to stay in West End

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversteve, sorry to do this after you had my back, but as nice as are the Sunset Villas' units and set up, I'd never stay there alone unless never went out in the evening by myself. I do find that stretch from the main road up the hill to be more than a bit scary in the dark. Once knew some women staying up there for a while and they had a motorcycle so that they wouldn't be walking in that area at night. (wasn't so sure myself that wasn't just inviting a cycle stealing but hey, whatever) :wink:

You guys, thank you so much for taking the time to send all this information to me. It helps me more than you know! Diver Steve, I really appreciate your detailed info on this, I"m printing it out as I type here. And Chilly and Ithom your info on safety is great, and gets me thinking safety wise. Chilly you and I sound like we'd be good travelers together - i like a bit of night life too. What a bugger to get to Honduras from Western Canada! omg. Oh well.

This all helps me tremendously it will help me narrow my research.

Regarding diving - to clarify - I'm looking to do 3 or so dives a day, every other day while I'm there for three weeks. I might try a couple different dive shops, likely Coconut Tree. Maybe go over to Utila as someone suggested for a couple nights. Relaxation is my top priority - different from my life right now ! Looking forward to no agendas, no kids to run after, no appts to keep, no rushing kids around, no deadlines at work, no massive yard upkeep, no cooking...just diving, sunning, a couple drinks here and there, some laughs and recovery from my insanely , over the top busy life. Getting very stoked, thanks gang!! :D

capper, all you've got to do is get to Houston, after that it is a breeze to get to Roatan (I fly United). I will say this about that though, because the flights are usually only once a week, when traveling in winter, I stay over in Houston. This is not necessary, but darn . . . I don't intend to miss a connection just because of a little weather.

One of my travel companions coming out of Newark, decided not to meet me in Houston the night before. Continental (now United) assured her she'd have enough time to make the connection at Houston. Her plane out of Newark had some kind of problem on the tarmac before take off and was held up just long enough for her to miss the connecting flight. Continental did manage to get her (but not her luggage) onto a TACA flight, and she was only 4-5 hours behind me onto the island. Her luggage took 3 days to catch up with her. It was fortunate that she and one other were able to make it onto the TACA flight, as those were the last available seats and some others didn't get on.

I believe that flights now leave on Saturdays and Sundays, so if you left on a Saturday, and got stranded would probably still make the plane on Sunday. Just sayin . . .

lthomas, I'll be the one with the frangipanni behind her ear. See you soon. :wink:

diversteve, sorry to do this after you had my back, but as nice as are the Sunset Villas' units and set up, I'd never stay there alone unless never went out in the evening by myself. I do find that stretch from the main road up the hill to be more than a bit scary in the dark. Once knew some women staying up there for a while and they had a motorcycle so that they wouldn't be walking in that area at night. (wasn't so sure myself that wasn't just inviting a cycle stealing but hey, whatever) :wink:
No problem, you definitely know more about that than I do. We went by there once in the daytime.

This has been a great thread, thanks all.

Would love some advice on what to do about our upcoming arrival situation: We fly in on Saturday 7/13 but cannot actually check into Las Rocas now until Sunday the 14th. I had hoped to book that first night at CocoView but was quoted $400. As much as I'd love to see their resort we just cannot afford to spend that on one night's stay.

Does anyone know of any hotels that would accommodate us for just that one evening? Thanks so much in advance, we'd love to be near the West End but are not going to be picky!

Nate

Would love some advice on what to do about our upcoming arrival situation: We fly in on Saturday 7/13 but cannot actually check into Las Rocas now until Sunday the 14th. I had hoped to book that first night at CocoView but was quoted $400. As much as I'd love to see their resort we just cannot afford to spend that on one night's stay.

Does anyone know of any hotels that would accommodate us for just that one evening? Thanks so much in advance, we'd love to be near the West End but are not going to be picky!

Nate
West End or West Bay? The West End is about 2 miles from West Bay.

You're looking at the wrong side of the island with Cocoview as it's on the south side of Roatan and pretty far east, Las Rocas is north and west in West Bay. You'd be looking at an expensive close to an hour long cab ride from Cocoview to Los Rocas. So assuming you want something closer - here's a map locating some options in West Bay - your resort is at the top:

Capture.JPG

From Los Rocas - going west (down) - Fosters West Bay Resort is the nearest property. Next is Coconut Tree Cabins - within a 1/4 mile or so is Mayan Princess, Bananarama or Coral Princess.

I don't know anything about any of these properties except I kind of like the looks of Bananarama.

Coconut Tree has very affordable cabins in West Bay. Coconut Tree Cabins, Roatan, Honduras West Bay Beach Cabins They're older but waterfront. They're affiliated with Coconut Tree Divers in the West End.

Bananarama has nightly rentals starting at $125 range depending on how many you are. Even their villas aren't $400/nt.
Accommodations and Rates - BananaramaDive Beach Front Resort

There's also any number of options in the West End in all price ranges if that is your intent. If you stay in the West End, you'd be a 2mile cab ride over to Los Rocas.

Luna Beach Resort is one option that's slightly closer - it's on the west side of the West End.

Farther east there's Posada Arco Iris in the West End, Half Moon Resort on the east side of Half Moon Bay - just past there on the point is Posada Los Orquideas or Cocolobo. These last couple are getting pretty far east.

Afaik all have single day rates. Cocolobo is pretty nice. Some other options: Roatán Accomodations | Scuba Diving | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | PADI

There's cheaper options in the West End also, these are ones that are a little nicer/often quieter. Half Moon Resort has great snorkeling off their dock.

Consider Sueno del Mar or Lost Paradise (beachside rooms only) in West End. I can see you are in a pickle inasmuch as you probably want assurance of having a room upon arrival.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Posada las Orquideas: Roatan, Posada Las Orquídeas - Welcome

I've stayed there several times, its maybe 5-7 minutes walk from the entrance to West End, right on Mangrove Bight. All of the rooms face the water. Rooms are simple but clean $30 a day with fans, $45 with AC. They have a generator, if the power goes out (and it probably will :blinking: ).

I haven't stayed there in about 2 years, but unless things have drastically changed its a good option.

Jason

Nate

Foster's would be the easiest place to transfer the next day to Las Rocas. I've stayed at Foster's several times and it's like staying with family. They have small cabanas right on the water's edge, just a short walk down the wooden boardwalk to LR. with a great open-air decked restaurant, Bite On The Beach Bite On The Beach Restaurant and Bar ? West Bay, Roatan, Honduras, in between. Contact Leslie through Foster's website: Foster's West Bay Resort - Beachfront Cabana Rentals - Bay Islands Roatan. Not sure if they'll pick you up at the airport for just one night, but a taxi would be only $20-25. Las Rocas is a great place too, seemed to be run by Spaniards with people from all over the world staying there. Good dive shop too. Have fun!

Be sure you specify Foster's on West Bay, not West End. He used to have a restaurant at West End over the water, closed now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom