Roatan holiday for August'13, what's your opinion on hotel/resort to stay in West End

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do stay at Foster's (or when you're staying at Las Rocas) make sure you eat dinner there....it's great and they have some good daily specials.

There are some good suggestions in the above posts re accommodations....does the owner at Las Rocas know that you're looking for a place to stay for one night....maybe he can help you out ??

I just left west end after seven weeks.
I stayed at Calico mission, we were the last guests, at $33 night with kitchen.
I would get there and stay a night or two somewhere inexpensive, and then shop for a place to stay.
Cindy(runs the little food stop next to coconut tree dive shop) has a couple of cabins across from the gas station.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input...we leave in 48 hours for Roatan! We are spending our first night at Antony's Key Resort...looking forward to doing some snorkeling and checking out the area as we will also be back mid-week for the Dolphin Swim adventure...they are also picking us up from the airport which is always a nice bonus.

We are on the island from Saturday till Sunday so if any fellow SB.com folks are also in the area please let us so we can say hello and buy you a post-dive drink!

Best,
Nate

We live on Roatan and my wife Elly & I are both Instructors. In our opinion the basic difference between West End & West Bay is that West Bay is essentially Florida transplanted to the Bay Islands, large busy hotels, great beach but no character. If you like to stay in an all-inclusive North American style hotel that's the place for you. West End is a cool, funky dive village that consists of dive shops, bars, restaurants, boutiques & more dive shops. For West End accommodation we suggest that you check out The Mame Tree if you want to be in the center of the action, Lost Paradise a little further away but nice little cabanas, Cocolobo if you want something a little more upscale, still in your price range in the low season in August, or the Lily Pond House, a great B&B. Cocolobo & Lily Pond are in the same area just a little east of the center of the village. We have had many friends & guests stay at both & they love them, it's a safe area of town and not in the heart of the party scene, about a 5 to 10 minute walk to the village & the nice beach at Half Moon Bay. If you like to dive in small groups check out Reef Gliders or Enomis, both great shops and lower volume than a lot of the others.

I'm a single woman traveling alone, will be there next year for 12 days, staying at Hotel Chillies and diving with Native Sons, I haven't been there before so obviously I don't have the experience the other people who posted do. I'm staying in a private cabin for $32 per night, dive op and hotel have the same owners and the owner Michelle has been very kind and helpful. I like the fact that the owner (Michelle's husband) is a native, he grew up there so I think it's safe to say he knows the area pretty well! They are also very involved in the Roatan Marine Park. Check it out if you like. :) Have a fun and safe trip!

Hi Capper! Are you still in Roatan? I'll be there solo (female, 28, staying in West End) from 24/8-31/8 - would love to meet up and/or dive w/ someone. :)

Back
Top Bottom