Roatan resort brochure & price 1983

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Look at this 40 year old advert…

IMG_5963.jpeg
IMG_7426.jpeg

All this plus they had a pool.
And air was $325 (from ORD) on SAHSA.

I moved to Honduras in 1984, and fondly recall using SAHSA's DC-3 service from San Pedro Sula and La Ceiba to Roatan and Guanaja.

SAHSA = Servicio Aereo Hondureno Sociedad Anonima = Stay At Home Stay Alive

Look at this 40 year old advert…

View attachment 797944View attachment 797945

All this plus they had a pool.
And air was $325 (from ORD) on SAHSA.

Are we sure that was 1983? It says freshwater pool opening in early 1972. Unless they were advertising an 11 year old pool as an amenity?

Reactions: Doc
Are we sure that was 1983? It says freshwater pool opening in early 1972. Unless they were advertising an 11 year old pool as an amenity?

You got a point there. In the early 70’s, one needed pack animals to get to Spyglass Hill. I drove to it in a 4x4 in 1984 and this version of the brochure was framed on a wall. It was not open for business in ‘84, looked a bit like “Night of the Iguana”.

Consider that… Roatan in 1972! Michael Hedges type malarkey, Crystal Skulls and all of that!

ATTACH]

Here is an Ad from the December 1977 issue of Skin Diver for Spyglass Hill Resort. SHR was developed by Lorenzo Dee Belveal, an American ex-pat, during the late 1960s - early 1970s. Mr. Dee is generally credited as the individual who put Roatan on the Scuba diving map. By the time I got to Honduras, SHR was mostly a memory. The places I recall diving in the mid-1980s were: Trudy's on Utila [run by the Boden family]; Anthony's Key and Pirate's Den in the Sandy Bay area of Roatan, and Bayman Bay Club on the north shore of Guanaja.

Another Ad from the same issue of Skin Diver for other dive operations in Honduras is below:

ATTACH]

I think Dive with Doc, refers to Doc Radawski, he of CocoView.

Attachments

• IMG_2658.jpg
    IMG_2658.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 1692641233767.jpeg
    1692641233767.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 73
I think Dive with Doc, refers to Doc Radawski, he of CocoView.

Yep, Doc first took shelter at Oak Ridge (South side, way East, thus the reference in that ad) and made his living being “the go-to guy” for compressor repairs- island wide, and for many years.

He was in the car “Pellican” was driving and knew they still had cold Salva Vidas over at Spyglass. Off we went.

Here’s a pencil sketch by Edna Olson.

image.jpg

Wow, and I thought I had been visiting the bay islands for a long time (25+ years), I'm still a newbie !!

How did they turn the island like 20-30 counterclockwise from what it used to be? The northeast tip used to point east-southeast.

Earthquake? Hurricane?

How did they turn the island like 20-30 counterclockwise from what it used to be? The northeast tip used to point east-southeast.

Earthquake? Hurricane?

Map makers

A 17x5 mile rock that doesn’t lie East-West but when it gets printed on a 40x10” piece of paper, nobody puts it on the wall (or in their minds) with the N pointing “up”.

IMG_7558.jpeg

Except them pesky rooshins (as above)

There is a standard local nomenclature for compass points and locations, completely contradicted by common sense (and thus: Trip Advisor)… where you find imponderable references to “East Side”, South End, West Shore and other cartographic anomalies.

Roatan has one “road” and it has signs that mimic US Interstate signs… if you squint.

Map makers

A 17x5 mile rock that doesn’t lie East-West but when it gets printed on a 40x10” piece of paper, nobody puts it on the wall (or in their minds) with the N pointing “up”.

View attachment 798752

Except them pesky rooshins (as above)

There is a standard local nomenclature for compass points and locations, completely contradicted by common sense (and thus: Trip Advisor)… where you find imponderable references to “East Side”, South End, West Shore and other cartographic anomalies.

Roatan has one “road” and it has signs that mimic US Interstate signs… if you squint.
From a graphic layout standpoint, turning the compass rose takes no space.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom