Roatan resort dive / location / quality questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shocked

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I have spent the last few hours reading the threads about Roatan diving and I am left with some questions.

background, 4 total of us are going to Roatan the end of March. 2 divers with around 100 dives/ea and 2 that are fairly new divers, but are athletic and competent.

1) Originally we were thinking Anthony's Key. I have read diver "reports" on here where one says it is the greatest and they will always return, and another says it was mediocre and they will go somewhere else.

2) The other common option here seems to be CoCo View. I found more people that liked it than did not (in reviews here).

I think that a problem with reviews is that we are all expecting different things. Some people like a fancy, higher end resort to dive from, and some people want to stretch the dollar as far as possible. Both can have an excellent time with something the other may not enjoy at all. For us, I would say we like the higher end things, but it is a dive trip so I understand there is no Four Seasons here.

So, that said. $1500/7nts each including diving seems the "norm" and is acceptable to us. The "all inclusive" meals seems the norm, but has very mixed reviews. I don't want to be trapped way away from places to eat with a crappy buffet. (but I am fine with taking a short cab ride if it is feasible)

Our main reason to come here is to dive. We expect to dive each day, but we are not trying to get in 8 dives a day or something. I would describe us as divers that also have a life outside of diving :wink:. So, that said, we had heard that there is a "downtown" area where you can walk around and see whatever it is there is to see. This sounds like it might be nice after morning diving and before an evening dive a day or two.

From what I am gathering, it seems that both Anthony's Key and CoCo View are far from this downtown area. Can we easily get a cab? What kind of costs would this be? There is a large difference between a $20 cab ride and a $75 one :wink:.

We are not opposed to other options as well. For my wife and I, we prefer "6 pack" diving boats. Or at the least, smaller boats that they did not try to fit 100 people on. We are apparently "unusual" in that we really enjoy the boats where they take the time to have a short safety talk, make it clear which dive master you will be following, have a system for how much air you should tell them when you get to (and also pay attention to the divers when they try and alert them to the air), etc. My wife and I have dove from Bora Bora to Nevis and I am surprised at how some dive operations seem to not be worried at all about these things. The vast majority we have dove with have been excellent and always make us feel as though diver safety is #1.

We like the option of the shore diving right off of the resort as well. One of the people with us is new and that would be a great place to work on buoyancy.

Based on this info.. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks

For good shore diving you want Cocoview, the newly renovated Fantasy Island or Reef House Resort farther East. All three are fairly isolated by geography and CCV & FIBR by water - both are on islands.

Just about all you want is at Anthony's Key actually. There's a shallow shore dive off the key and a shallow muck dive in the lagoon between the Key and the mainland.

On this list, #'s 1-2 are Cocoview, #3 is FIBR and #7 is AKR. #'s 5-6 are generally inaccessible since Bay Island BR closed. http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Caribbean/Roatan/index.htm
I don't want to be trapped way away from places to eat with a crappy buffet. (but I am fine with taking a short cab ride if it is feasible)
I'm not commenting on the food quality at any of the south side AI resorts but if you find them on a map you'll see that you will be a good distance away. The nearest food is probably in French Harbor but IDK for certain. Coxen Hole is only good in daylight.

We ate one night at AKR while my friend was seeing the doctor - about what I expected for AI food - decent but not memorable.

From there it's a 5min. cab ride. to the West End which has the majority of restaurants on Roatan and most of the nightlife. There's some good food to be had there - Argentinean Grille for steaks, Tong's Thai and what's reviewed as one of the finest Indian restaurants in the Caribbean - Ooloonthoo. Pricey and reservations required.

Lots of more affordable options also - this is a fairly complete list - West End, Honduras Restaurants: See 35 restaurants with 3,203 reviews - TripAdvisor

All the popular bars are there from nightspots crowded with 20-somethings to places like Sundowners - the divers beach bar in the West End. https://www.facebook.com/sundownersbeachbar Most of the shops also except for those near the cruise ports in Coxen Hole or the cruise complex at Mahogany Bay. There's a small mall in French Harbor also.

All the AI resorts have decent sized boats that they limit divers on. Both CCV and AKR have a fleet of boats - check their websites for details. The AKR boats are nice for diving but looked like they could hold a lot of divers - we did the Dolphin dive there so that was limited to paying guests - about 8 of us. They're custom dive boats.

We took cabs all over the island. From a low of $6 from the West End to AKR to $25 from the airport to the West End. Negotiate always. Cocoview also arranges cabs to the West End - from there I think it's $45?
For us, I would say we like the higher end things, but it is a dive trip so I understand there is no Four Seasons here.
You might also look at Barefoot Cay/Divers. They really do provide "valet diving". And it's a full-AI with really good food - but it won't be $1500pp...

Last edited:
. . .
1) Originally we were thinking Anthony's Key. I have read diver "reports" on here where one says it is the greatest and they will always return, and another says it was mediocre and they will go somewhere else. . . .

I hope when you refer to the "mediocre" comment you're not referring to my AKR trip report that I posted in December. What I said was that as nice a dive resort as AKR is, it just wasn't a good fit for my wife and me.

Neither CCV nor AKR will meet "all" your requirements, but then again- nothing much on Roatan that will.

.... For us, I would say we like the higher end things, but it is a dive trip so I understand there is no Four Seasons here.

Good expectation. Nothing even in the same breath or paragraph. Either CCV or AKR qualifies as "dive resort upscale"... in their own ways.

I don't want to be trapped way away from places to eat with a crappy buffet. (but I am fine with taking a short cab ride if it is feasible)

I have never had a crappy buffet at CCV, and I note that the waiter served food at AKR is identical but slower. Of the two, AKR would be much closer to the party atmosphere of the West End.

Our main reason to come here is to dive. We expect to dive each day, but we are not trying to get in 8 dives a day or something.

Okay, that's what you don't want... what do you want? Be specific. How many? Night dives? Of your two mentioned resorts, AKR can comfortably give you 3-4 a day with scheduled night dives twice a week. Their shore dive is marginal due to access. CCV can get you 4-5 a day with an easy night shore dive every night.

I would describe us as divers that also have a life outside of diving :wink:. So, that said, we had heard that there is a "downtown" area where you can walk around and see whatever it is there is to see. This sounds like it might be nice after morning diving and before an evening dive a day or two.

I think you're talking more about a West End guest house at this point. Like DiverSteve infers, there's nothing you need in the actual towns of French Harbour or Coxen Hole. The West End is geared towards servicing the Cruise Ship crowd, so there's lots to do besides dive- in variety of places for drinking, eating.

From what I am gathering, it seems that both Anthony's Key and CoCo View are far from this downtown area. Can we easily get a cab? What kind of costs would this be? There is a large difference between a $20 cab ride and a $75 one :wink:.

CCV to-and-from West End would be annoying if you did this more than twice in a week- AKR would be doable, much closer.

We are not opposed to other options as well. For my wife and I, we prefer "6 pack" diving boats.

West End is your oyster. You may have preferred diving off of six packs thus far in your diving, but you may be amazed at the other less prevalent options.

Or at the least, smaller boats that they did not try to fit 100 people on. We are apparently "unusual" in that we really enjoy the boats where they take the time to have a short safety talk, make it clear which dive master you will be following, have a system for how much air you should tell them when you get to (and also pay attention to the divers when they try and alert them to the air), etc. My wife and I have dove from Bora Bora to Nevis and I am surprised at how some dive operations seem to not be worried at all about these things. The vast majority we have dove with have been excellent and always make us feel as though diver safety is #1.

I have seen that universally on Roatan- they are, on the West End, most solicitous, as again- they cater to occasional divers, cruise shippers, etc. AKR & CCV being dive-centric resorts, attracting nitrogen junkies, do make certain assumptions about visiting divers. However- "What you may feel in terms of safety" might largely be only what you feel. Bora Boar and Nevis generally get their divers from other than the US. Their divers have different expectations- the operations on Roatan have adjusted their behaviors to conform to North American desires- most times their DMs make some kind of effort to conform. Not everyone (in any spot) is qualified to administer 02 (or that they have it).

The thing I want in a DM is to be a superb naturalist hunter. I want him to use his extensive local skills and show me the cool stuff. If your Roatan DM doesn't show you a Seahorse on half your dives- you got yourself a lemon. Barring that- if they move my gear, I'm good with that at the least.

We like the option of the shore diving right off of the resort as well. One of the people with us is new and that would be a great place to work on buoyancy.

Between the two, AKR and CCV, Coco View is the winner, no doubt. Best on the island.

Based on this info.. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks

I'm still thinking that West End would be best for your desire for non-dive diversions and your specifications for diving. Lots of guest houses and some AI-ish Resorts.

-> The only real (kinda)lux property that offers diving, and one that I would think would fit in well with your needs is Xbalanque Resort

Last edited:
Cocolobo is a great hotel in West End with nice views. Very kind and helpful owners (Canadian Ex-Pats).

I dove/trained with Coconut Tree Divers. They were FIRST RATE all the way. Excellent bunch.

West End is cheaper and has lots of great restaurants. West Bay has a nicer beach but gets very crowded on the dreaded "Cruise ship" days.

No offence Doc, but I think a better choice if they are going for a house with shared acco would be one of the Coral Vista Villas. IMNSHO the location is superior, especially if they want easy access to the various dive ops. And its a great location for ease of access to all restaurants and bars but not noisy. Better Than Roatan Honduras Resorts - The Coral Vista Advantage

Back
Top Bottom