Roatan Shark Dive Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the video. We're headed to CCV in June and will proably give this a whirl, although we've been in similar settings before (Blue Hole Belize) and it's not a priority.

Check out 3:07 - 3:08 of the video. A shark swims real close to the camera and appears to have an old hook stuck in it's mouth. Anyone else know what this is?

The sharks are attracted by a chum bucket. You can see it on the video. It's a 5 gallon bucket with some holes poked in it. Inside it are some dead fish. I got a smell of it at the dive shop. REALLY BAD! Why they don't eat the fish swimming around them is a good question. It was something my wife and I talked about, but really didn't have an answer for. I was really surprised to see so many other fish in such close proximity to the sharks. As for being afraid, it was funny how quiet it was on the dive boat on the way to the dive site. Everyone was nervous. On the way back, everyone was talking. Once you get in there with them and a few pass by you within arms reach, the fear kind of goes away and you are just in awe.

I don't remember the name of the music and can't find it anymore.

I do think that is a hook in the sharks mouth.

That's a great video and a great experience. I did the shark dive with Stuart Cove's in the Bahamas and I'm absolutely dieing to do it again. I want to the one in Fiji for my honeymoon.

To the uptight French guy.....is there anything that you Frogs arent uptight about????

Last july I also did the dive, only difference, we were 5. The cameraman, the bucket operator and 3 of us ( at first I tought they would cancel since we were so few, but no...). It was fantastic. I was able to find 3 teeth at the end of the dives.

RockyHeap:
They only feed like 3-5 pounds of meat there and they don't offer the shark dive every day of the week..

that is not the point.
whatever quantity given it's a shame sharks are fed at all. That is not their purpose in the ecosystem.

it's my -and fortunately many people's- idea of respect not to touch or feed anything when I dive. leave only bubbles, take only pictures and memories.

but I guess many of you just don't care and behave like consumers, unashamed since they pay good money to get good pictures and thrilling sensations.

If respecting nature is being uptight, then I'm proud to be an uptight french guy. (BTW I didn't mention nationality, I've met as many good American divers as bad French divers, and vice versa. I'm afraid stupidity ignores borders and passports)

We did the shark dive when we were there the beginning of Feb and I was apprehensive about it too because of the whole feeding thing, but then again they feed a small amount. When people experience something like this and see how they can go from just cruising around and then turn to a frenzy when it comes to feeding time so quickly it's pretty amazing. There are pros and cons to things like this but I feel if it's done well and as much respect is shown for the sharks as possible while being down there then it is also a way to promote conservation of the animal. Others might think twice when it comes to ordering shark when it's on the menu and the rate that Asian nations are over fishing for sharks, who knows how often you might see a shark in the wild.
Sergio let us know that all the sharks were female and that if the lateral fins were close to the body then they were nervous and we would not be able to swim among them. I felt the dive was very excellant, no touching of the sharks or groupers was allowed and if you were spotted doing that then your dive was over.

penti:
that is not the point.
whatever quantity given it's a shame sharks are fed at all. That is not their purpose in the ecosystem.

it's my -and fortunately many people's- idea of respect not to touch or feed anything when I dive. leave only bubbles, take only pictures and memories.

but I guess many of you just don't care and behave like consumers, unashamed since they pay good money to get good pictures and thrilling sensations.

If respecting nature is being uptight, then I'm proud to be an uptight french guy. (BTW I didn't mention nationality, I've met as many good American divers as bad French divers, and vice versa. I'm afraid stupidity ignores borders and passports)

I sure agree with the last part, attacking your nationality sure shows a lot of ignorance.

The rest is subjetive and open for debate. There are certainly pros and cons of such behavior by divers, and the debate will continue. Much of it based losely on science (both physical and psychological).

Sharks (and many morays) are fed and definitely become accustomed to getting food from people. That's a fact.

Does this make sharks more dangerous, because they associate people with food, if even indirectly?

Does this harm the ecosystem by changing the natural setting in some lasting and negative way?

Do these dives help people both on the dives and their friends at home watching the videos think differently about sharks?

etc. Many positives and negatives can be postulated. I'm not sure how many can be proven. Of course, flaming, insulting, or using all caps on a msg board does not make something true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom