Roatan shark dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did it once.

If you want to do a Shark Dive, sure, it's worth the time.

Pay attention to the dive briefing, it can have some minor current that will present new situations to many. Hang onto the down line. I don't think they've lost all that many people in the current.

Take an additional 6# of weights above your norm. Helps to make you go kerplunk on the sandy bottom and not bobble around.

Shark Dives can be of interest, but will not compare to a chance encounter in the blue. If you continue to dive enough, you'll have that totally different experience.

We did it in March because our daughters really wanted to. They absolutely enjoyed it, I spent more time watching them than the sharks and I have to say, I enjoyed it too. Its worth doing once

My wife, daughter and I did this while staying at Anthony's Key Resort (March of this year). We are relatively inexperienced divers. For us, it was thrilling and well worth the trip out there. At times the boat ride from AK was quite choppy. From what I understand this is par for the course. Also there was quite a stiff current so thst we had to descend and ascend on a line. Going down was not a problem. Going up was a bit of a mess with a glob of people trying to hold on at, or get to 15 feet.
Because of the current (at least that was the explanation) there were a lot of sharks. Easily a dozen. You swim among them until they release the chum. Then it gets pretty wild. I loved it.

I agree with Derffie. I had the same experience several years ago. It was definitely well worth it. We had the same amount of challenge with the current.

Just did it less than month ago. Anthony's Key Resort has pretty big and nice boats with easy access.
I dove with some small dive shop. Boat was very small for 15 divers. You should wear all equipment on beach and sit with full equipment 20 minutes till boat arrive to place.
Yes current always here, but they have permanent line, so, if you use split fins, and can't swim against current, just grab the line.
On way back you don't must to stay exactly on 15 ft, it can be also 14 till 17 without issue. Again, in case you should grab the line.
What about show ? It is really show, even it is in open ocean. 7 people sit and other 8 are standing.
It is nice to go once just to tell to friends that you did. Because of this shark dive we missed full diving day (3 dives) and payed additional 100$ from person.
Second time I will not go for sure.... but once .. may be it was ok.
Anyway sharks in Cozumel, which you meet accidentally more interesting for me.
They sell video 250$ for original file (not sure which quality it is ) or 150$ for three terrible (480x705) copy, which you can see below.
I bought it, so don't think any issue that I will share:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uob782tkCRE

Reactions: Doc
I totally agree with Derffie. In fact, I was with Derffie because I'm married to him! What Roman says is true, it's a show. You sit or stand and watch a feeding frenzy after the leader opens a bucket of fish. But during the period that you're actually swimming with the sharks, before the feeding frenzy, that was an amazing experience even if the sharks were only hanging around because they knew what was coming.

I have done the shark dive twice and would definitely do it again. The first time the current was fairly strong. We ascended and descended down the rope line. We were able to swim around once a bottom, but were very conservative in distance from the protection from the coral head. The second time there was hardly any current. We ascended and descended near, but not on the rope line. There are two boats. Both times we ended up on the homely one which resembled a large bath tub. High walls, no shade. Fortunately, it was not a long journey out the site. Our dive guide was pleasant, but the guys who run the op have the warmth and animation of melba toast. Brought my camera on both dives. Keep in mind that they do not allow Go Pro cameras. The 'official' story is they attract the sharks.

I definitely recommend this dive. One of the most invigorating, cool, awesome experiences ever! Pics from out 2015 dive.
PICT0053.jpg
PICT0102.jpg

Attachments

• PICT0036.jpg
    PICT0036.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 211
Did it at AKR with last years SB Invasion. Swimming with them prior was very cool - you could get close but not that close. Hardest part was getting the money shot without another diver photobombing you. Cowbells obviously didn't have as much of an issue. Anyways, I'd say yes, do it at least once. Once was enough for me as likely will be the whaleshark snorkel in Cozumel. Much more pleasure in seeing them in the open as it's a treat for me rather than them looking for their treat and disappearing immediately

Back in ?'02 it was..........16(think it was) came in that day.....My avatar pic is from Cara a Cara...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom