Roatan, West End Dive Shop for Experienced Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am hoping to do a trip to West End, Roatan in April. It has been many years since I was last in Roatan, so I am looking for recommendations for a dive shop that can cater to experienced divers.

What I mean by that is, I don't want to be herded around the reef like a small boy on a school outing by a young and anxious DM intern, then pushed back on the boat after 40 minutes, with 1600 PSI left. I would like to find a place that will allow a slow, relaxed pace, that will accommodate stopping to take photos and not be in such a rush to end the dive. My favorite dive operators either don't send a DM into the water or, if they do, he will show you the highlights, then leave the buddy pairs alone to finish their dives at their own pace. Now, I don't expect that in West End, but is there an outfit that comes close?

Thanks

Andy

Do you need to be right in the West End, or would West Bay Beach (a couple of miles away) work for you? If so, I can recommend Bananarama (we were there last month). Our dives were all ~60 minutes (minus or plus five minutes). While we did often have some extra gas in the cylinder, I found the dive times just fine. All the dives were DM (which is absolutely not the norm for us), but they were decently paced, and we were snapping pictures and shooting a bit of video.

In any case, I posted a trip report here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/370556-roatan-trip-report-photos-videos.html

Coconut Tree Divers are the Tech divers on the island and as soon as they figure out your experience level, they will let you do your own thing. Plus West End dive shops are cheaper per dive than dive shops on West Bay.

Atlantic Sea Divers in the West End is also a very good outfit. Long dives, and they leave you alone pretty much after they figure out your skill level.

Your profile indicates that you have posted 15 times in the past 6 or 7 years. Nothing about your diving experience, etc. As posted by others, almost all of the west end ops are going to evaluate you in the beginning. There are a number of ops on west end, some kinda cattle boatish some not. Give us a few more clues and we can fill in more of the blanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom