Roatan!! Wooot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because the CDC is worried about two things:

1) The risk of exposure to Malaria
2) Your blood alchohol content from the Flor de Cana Rum

I just spent two months in Roatan doing my DMT. Oh how I miss the flor de cana!

I don't know if you have a Beverages and More store near you, but they do sell Flor de Cana if you need a fix! (You can also find it in many latino grocery stores- at least here in California!)

Shae:
I just spent two months in Roatan doing my DMT.

That's a topic that is so very often asked about....

Tell us all about your Divemaster Training!

RoatanMan:
That's a topic that is so very often asked about....

Tell us all about your Divemaster Training!
Well, I was in Roatan from October 15th until December 17th, and would have stayed longer if it weren't for the holidays. I started the program with my OW cert already under my belt--along with the other three DMTs that started the same day. We finished our last DM exam on Dec. 7th. I won't say what diveshop I worked through, because I thought that we had too few guests to get the hands-on experience, actually guiding groups, that I was anticipating. On the other hand though, my instructors were wonderful. They were both very experienced divers in their own right, they worked with all of us individually on our diving as well as in the group, they had no trouble telling offering constructive criticism, lining us out when we needed it, or offering praise when we accomplished our goals. I learned a tremendous amount about diving, and business from these two individuals. One is still working with the same shop and the other has moved on to instruct at FI. I feel like my experience was worth it, because of their guidance, not that of the diveshop.

I also learned a great deal of information from talking with people out in west end on friday nights. I made a number of good friends, most of whom were Instructors and DMs. They would keep tabs on where I was in my courses, and drill me with scenarios, tell me about situations that they have been through, and made sure I was comfortable with my own dive progress. I learned many lessons (dive related and otherwise) from my time on that street :wink: One of the most important--it's a small island and way too easy to end up on the board at Sundowners.

I loved the island, and would go back in a heartbeat. If you have any specific questions about my DMT program, feel free to ask away.

I stayed at the Inn of Last Resort in Roatan for a week. I loved the island. Everyone that I met was friendly. One of the boys that worked at the resort took my father and I into the jungle for a baseball game. How cool is that?!?!? I had a great time from the beautiful diving, to the nightlife at the Twisted Tucan, and the shark diving off of Coco View. You will have a lot of fun, but don't let the taxi drives rip you off.

Back
Top Bottom