Roatan zip line death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There's a bunch of recent chatter online about someone dying from a zipline accident on Roatan. The chatter is not clear which zipline this happened on - some say Gumbalinda some say Pirates of the Caribbean - Extreme.
Does anyone know for sure which zip line this occurred on?

Wow....We were just down there and did the Gumbalinda Zip last month. A lot of fun, hadn't heard about anyone dying on it. If so then very sad to hear about it.

Wow, I did that zip line and I have to say I HATED IT personally. It is a really long, fairly strenuous course. How sad that it resulted in death. Does anyone know if they have stopped the zip line or are they still up and running? I don't think I'll ever do one again, just personal choice. I'd have more fun jumping out of a plane.

Here's another link to the news coverage. U.S. tourist dies after falling during zip line ride - News - MSNBC.com

Details are posted on Cruise Critic:
=http://boards. diarrhea of the mouth

Yikes. There's a testament to not reading a particular website.

I go to Roatan to dive. Anything with more than two moving parts in Honduras is pretty high on the list of being susceptible to failure. :no

Not for dissecting the specific incident, but for discussing safety while on any trip, I threw out this bone to chew on: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/general-travel-vacation-discussions/226313-safe-go-there.html

Yikes. There's a testament to not reading a particular website.
I couldn't agree more from what I read.

But it does verify the OP's question as to where it happened - Gumbalimba.

Glad to see I'm not the only one, UnderwaterBumblebee. I hated it, too, and would not choose to do a zipline again. In my case, I stupidly put my hand in front (in spite of directions NOT to do so)--if the glove hadn't been a little large, I would have sliced off a finger.

I also found the talk where they give you directions very brief and hurried. The guides--is that what you call them?--were very tense and also hurried. The whole thing just did not inspire a lot of confidence. And it really wasn't all that fun.

To tell you the truth, I had some idea that we would be leisurely zipping through the canopy, taking in the flora and fauna. Of course, the zip line is the complete opposite (duh!). I remember thinking that the people snorkeling were having a lot more fun and they didn't have to pay extra for it, either.

I did the Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme canopy tour. It was 8 lines, the first one being pretty high and long. We only had 4 people in our group and the two guides. That one is set up a little different - you don't have to stop yourself on the cable - in fact, on that one you don't even touch the cable. You can spin yourself around as you go down the line, and they stop you at the end.. I remember our guide saying "This is 100% safe"... That is, of course, after we had signed the waivers... (I did the South Shore (I think that was the one we did - they picked us up at ILR) zipline last year, I don't even think we signed waivers)....
Extreme cost $70 this year vs $35 last year for the South Shore - it was nice, but I don't know that I'd spend $70 to do it again. Something we can't do at home.. I think a zipline on Maui costs over $100 so comparatively speaking, this was a bargain....
Thanks for the confirmation that it was Gumbalimba - I read the cruise critics thread and it was all over the board as to where the incident occurred so I just wanted to confirm.. Sad event indeed..

Back
Top Bottom