Rock Boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the suit from the previous wearers son on eBay. The son is a non-diver. The dad dove the suit in the ocean. It is not a non-diving recreational suit. It is a diving suit with the appropriate inflation and deflation valves. The suit is 17 years old.

It is my "for now" dry suit, and will eventually be a back up if I but a brand new fancy schmancy suit.

I plan to wear the suit in the lakes and quarries around here. Both from boat and shore. The water temps are in the 40s and 50s at depth, even in the summer. So it will be 3 mm wet above the thermocline and DRY below.

do it easy:
OK, so what's the story? Did the previous owner use the drysuit for clamming? Why would anyone put latex socks on a drysuit? Enquiring minds want to know!!

What kind of conditions/temps do you dive in? Boat, shore, or picnic table?

I learned something new today! As long as it has the valves, it should be fine. 17 years old isn't that bad as long as the suit is in good condition, and a good used suit is MUCH cheaper than a good new suit. Thanks for the info.

MRF:
I don't think so, you wear your insulation inside the suit. Moisture wicking layer, fleece socks, then wool... Just like the rest of your undergarment. Some undergarments cover your feet with the same layer as the rest of the suit, like footie pajamas.

I think so..the latex is very easy to get a hole worn into it from the fin

do it easy:
Thanks Jonnythan. Are these suitable for diving? How long will the latex last?
They are not suitable for diving. One rips and you have a fully flooded suit.

They are only used on watersports drysuits because, in general, a rip is not life threatening and they are significantly cheaper and easier to size than neoprene socks or boots.

oly5050user:
From my experience with them, wearing holes in them is not the issue. Rips from the environment or footwear are.

jonnythan:
They are not suitable for diving. One rips and you have a fully flooded suit.

They are only used on watersports drysuits because, in general, a rip is not life threatening and they are significantly cheaper and easier to size than neoprene socks or boots.

I have a question.

Why does this suit have an inflation and a deflation valve and a back dry zipper? It is obviously a diving suit.

Is it possible to replace the latex socks on this suit with something more durable?

DivingCRNA:
I have a question.

Why does this suit have an inflation and a deflation valve and a back dry zipper? It is obviously a diving suit.

Is it possible to replace the latex socks on this suit with something more durable?
I really don't know. Maybe someone thought it was a good idea. I've seen all sorts of odd things on diving gear that "looked good" but weren't functional for the needs of diving.

It's certainly possible to replace them. Contact Superior Drysuit Repair and they will put on boots or proper socks.

My old drysuit by Seatec, made for diving, had latex "socks" and I used the suit for years and NEVER had a problem with the seals. Contrary to some posts there were drysuits made for diving with these type of seals. We simply used a std neoprene scuba bootie. In fact I passed that old suit onto a friend and he still has it. With a little bit of care they work fine, the neck and wrist seals are more prone to damage.

oly5050user:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I just meant the warmth thing. I see no benefit in latex socks if you don't have insulation underneath. Otherwise it is virtually no better than a wetsuit boot with nothing underneath.

I don't doubt that they would be easily damaged.

As far as replacing them, you can. You can take your suit in to you lds and they can replace the latex with the proper sock or boot for your application.

Back
Top Bottom