Rodeo de Lanchas Mexicanas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

entry fee 7000 pesos, several cars and trips for prizes this year I believe.
When the marlins are the real stars of the show. And what do they get? Not even a dignified funeral. They get stuffed to hang over someone's mantle.

Or is this catch & release?

I'm rooting for the marlin also. Seems strange that folks who are concerned about using eco sunscreen to protect the coral think nothing of killing a huge fish for sport and bragging rights.

1. I was under the assumption that the only thing we were likely to kill was a case of sol. And then another. And then another. verano_sol_wall3.jpg

2. If we did catch a marlin, I would assume someone would be eating it. We have always eaten the fish we caught. (Fresh tuna shaved paper thin on the way in is remarkably tasty!) Of course the marlin would require a bigger table and a few more mouths I guess.marlin_teriyaki_cover.jpg

3. Aren't the stuffed fish really just entirely fake? Not like a bear where they really stuff the actual bear? I thought like they just made you a fake one to match your fish. il_340x270.385898737_7ait.jpg

4. I would have been wearing the eco sunscreen. Though again, not because it is a big deal, but because its what I buy in CZM. Not expensive and quite effective. I never tested it on coral, I just went with the rules. follow_the_rules.jpg

5. As for bragging rights, the heck with that. I wanted the brand new Lobo. :auto:

6. As for preservation efforts involving Marlin, I believe I would be correct that 99% of the marlin are caught commercially using long line, gill nets and the like.commercial_fisherman_attacks.jpg

7. Oh, I almost forgot: Fishing is legal and sanctioned by the Mexican government that would have hosted me in their great country, had I made it. Non-eco sunscreen isn't legal. Their house, their rules, as I believe I said earlier. (Heck some of the stuff Moss does might even be legal down there. Though not his sunscreen....)

Just to review:

Fishing: mexican%u00252Bguy%u00252Bthumbs%u00252Bup.jpg

Non-eco sunscreen: 061912-01-500x333.jpg

And Moss, I could almost assure you: The marlin would have won......

Many cases of the non protected Sol beer will be killed during the Tournament and no one will shed a tear. The protected Sol Beer girls will just be observed and admired by all, they would be considered catch and release if you had the right bait. Plus any of the fish killed will be eaten and provide food for many. I guess its ok to buy fish in the market or off the menu but not catch them the way that Jesus taught people to do.

Or is this catch & release?

I highly doubt it. My brother fishes and practices catch and release everywhere but in Cozumel. There, the crew were horrified the first time he suggested doing so. SOMEONE there will eat it.

The protected Sol Beer girls will just be observed and admired by all, they would be considered catch and release if you had the right bait. .

I have often dreamed of catching one of those too.....

Well personally I avoid eating the upper end of the food chain type fish; I ain’t against others eating them I just do not want to. I grew up eating way too much Salmon and to this day I like a smaller ‘white meat’ fish.
CVCHIEF, thank you the info and excellent posts (on this thread and others), I plan to be on the pier Sunday afternoon, drinking a Sol and hope to see the “Sol girls’ or hopefully there lookalikes. :D

It definitely starts tomorrow. I was down by the international pier last night and saw the signs, and the guys I fished with today (and Monday and Wednesday) are prepping for it as I type.

I do not know if it's catch and release for marlin, but I am pretty sure it has been that way for sailfish for the last few years.

Outside of tournaments it's pretty much considered bad form here to kill a billfish, at least with all the guys I have fished with here over the last 25 years or so. I caught a very nice white on Wednesday and the skipper and mate were very hasty in getting it back into the water after pictures.

I started coming here for the fishing in the late 70's; it's only since the mid 90's that I added diving.

Sadly enough, 3 or 4 days ago, the carcass of a marlin, maybe 7-8 feet, came floating south - just south of Puerta d'Abrigo. It had been filleted. A smaller carcass floated by a short while later.

I'm curious to know how the weigh-in goes, if it is catch and release...

Back
Top Bottom