Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My TIC:
TIC blurred1.jpg

NASDS and the YMCA... YMCA in 1966 at 15.

It must have been 1968 when I took lessons from Kevin Murphy at San Diego Divers Supply and got my card. I was 16. I remember he said I looked like Neptune's daughter coming out of the waves in La Jolla on the last dive. LOL! I probably did.
They were reluctant to take me on because I was so young but they said if I could pass their swimming test I could join the class. It was really hard. I was about 5 foot six inches tall and a hundred and ten pounds sopping wet but I did it. Happy memories of that time.

Yeah, I remember those two hose regulators. They half drowned us with those things in some really hard tests.

NASDS instructor clinic back in 1970 located in Rhode Island..owsi 1026..then went to PADI in 1978,also SSI in the early 80's..now teach only PADI..
Had my training at Rhode Island Divers Supply "1973" Owner Larry Silva and instructor Fred Bergman...Sorry to say both have passed away and the location was closed...How do I obtain copies of my certifications mine have degraded in storage thanks Rob Wood

It must have been 1968 when I took lessons from Kevin Murphy at San Diego Divers Supply and got my card. I was 16. I remember he said I looked like Neptune's daughter coming out of the waves in La Jolla on the last dive. LOL! I probably did.
They were reluctant to take me on because I was so young but they said if I could pass their swimming test I could join the class. It was really hard. I was about 5 foot six inches tall and a hundred and ten pounds sopping wet but I did it. Happy memories of that time.

Yeah, I remember those two hose regulators. They half drowned us with those things in some really hard tests.
I was certified NASDS through SDDS as well! My card says 1970, but it is a replacement card, so it was probably earlier. My Instructor was Dave Forsyth. Did you have the "harassment" training dives in La Jolla Cove? All the students formed a circle on the bottom at about 30', and the Instructors came up behind us and did nasty stuff like pulling your mask off, turning off your gas valve, dropping your weight belt, Emergency Ascents, etc. Nobody died though! I remember the arch at Alligator's Head was still there. I think it collapsed in a storm in 1978.

I was certified NASDS through SDDS as well! My card says 1970, but it is a replacement card, so it was probably earlier. My Instructor was Dave Forsyth. Did you have the "harassment" training dives in La Jolla Cove? All the students formed a circle on the bottom at about 30', and the Instructors came up behind us and did nasty stuff like pulling your mask off, turning off your gas valve, dropping your weight belt, Emergency Ascents, etc. Nobody died though! I remember the arch at Alligator's Head was still there. I think it collapsed in a storm in 1978.
I do remember that harassment training but in the class I was in they did it in the deep pool. At La Jolla one time I remember the water was stormy and full of kelp. Both I and one other student (a large man) got badly tangled. Thanks to the training up to then, I remember not even being worried at all. I just rolled and eventually freed myself but the other student was the first and only time I ever saw someone do a full-on deadly panic. I watched as Kevin Murphy swam into that churning vortex, freeing the guy and pulling the co2 cartridge on his mae west sending him to the surface. It was really impressive. There was no part of me that didn't recognize that going near that guy at that moment was the very last thing I wanted to do.

I was curious to see if I could find any news on Tony Zimos, and came across this thread. So many memories! First certified NASDS at The Dive Shop in DC by an instructor couple, Bob and can't remember the wife's name. Fine instructors. The owner was a great guy as well, ex-military, and has since passed away.

Went to San Diego in 1983 for instructor's college, run by Zimos himself and a trainer that was doing his first stint at the college, Bob Marx. Those were the worst days and the best days of my life. I was never in the military, but I think we got a taste of it under Zimos and his SEAL like training methods. He was in a lot of back pain at the time, and I think it could have been a lot tougher on us had he been full strength. I definitely remember the stories, including one where a guy who's chute didn't open, fell on top of Tony's chute and refused to climb down the ropes before they hit the ground. I think he broke both legs. I remember the old equipment stories and about how he watched a friend die from not being able to exhale. Met John Gaffney in LA, hell bent on selling Z-90 equipment. I remember the day with Stan Waterman, one of the great underwater photography pioneers. The grueling days at La Jolla Shores and the Kiddy Pool. Great memories of being out on the Sand Dollar and the Bottom Scratcher, with Tony making seasick kids eat runny eggs.

I came out OWIC #699, thought I was going to work in DC at the dive shop, but got a better offer from the Diving Locker in Pacific Beach, and ended up teaching at the same places I trained. I remember all the Nicklin family, Terry and Flip, and their father Chuck. Even met one of the Cousteau's while working there.

Favorite quote on this thread.....

Don't remember that one, but did Tony ever bring in his piercing gear and threaten to pierce someone's privates? Everyone was sure he was going to do it till the last second.... hell, I even helped hold he guy down!!!

p.s. Sorry about the rant... just so many memories!
Was the Bob Marx at san diego divers supply the same as the international ship treasure hunter bob marx who died at 85 in Florida? SDDS Bob Marx certified me NASDS in 1986.

NASDS 1976 Key west diver

i was reminiscing and wanted to search Ed Brawley store in San Mateo Calif. and I found this . I took lessons in Ed's store in San Mateo in the summer of 1969. as expected as a kid I watched Sea Hunt . I did lots of diving in the Monterey areas and would get a refill and Ed's Monterey store. Over the years did some diving north of the Golden Gate bridge. Usually diving for Abs and camping. Did Mexico , southern California and Hawaii. Lots of fun and great memories. Who Remembers Ed's amphibian vehicle. How about Steels dive shop in Oakland area?

Back
Top Bottom